Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cruising in the South East

Less than 10 posts so far! Club Member

Red face Cruising in the South East

Hi I am new to hovercrafts and I pick up my cruising hovercraft next week, I have some land to use her on but would like to get her out on some water, any advice on trying to find locations , OK so I am not far from the sea at Eastbourne/Bexhill that would be a good place to start maybe but thought a safer trip on a river or estuary would be a safer place to start, is there a list anywere on a site which may have some ideas and locations slip exceptable slipways, are there any regualr meetings of like minded in the Sussex area? any help would be appriciated.

Many thanks

Extremely active > 250 posts! Club Member

Default Re: Cruising in the South East

The best cruising in the South East is here in North Kent around the Thames, Medway and Swale as there are miles of mudflats, sandbanks, shallow water and interesting places.
    Most of the Sussex coast is pebble beaches although there are some potentially hoverable areas but you'd need to check local byelaws first.

You should make contact with members with local knowledge. Speak to members of the "South Downs Twig" who meet in Haywards Heath. They meet regularly although they're not regular cruisers. Chris Searle is another cruiser who has knowledge of some of the South coast estuaries.

Really you should have come up to the Sheppey cruise this weekend and met the hard core cruisers who could show you the area and give you plenty of advice. If you get a move on you could still get there in time!

If you want advice about North Kent then let me know.

Smile Re: Cruising in the South East

Thats a great help thanks, how do I find out about these cruising trips? local club, Kent is not that far so that sounds good, I will make try and make contact with South Down Twig, do you in North kent mainly cruise? are there any clubs in Sussex that do that as well? thanks for your help. Also being new how do I check local byelaws?

Extremely active > 250 posts! Club Member

All the organised cruises are on the club calendar on this website. Informal ones are just organised by word of mouth. Once you've made contact with like minded cruisers you'll get to hear of any local cruises going on.
    Personally I just go out when I feel like it on my own. Not at the moment though as I'm craftless.
    You can find ut about local byelaws by checking the signs where you intend to cruise and if they don't carry enough information then ask the local authority, harbourmaster or other body for a copy of the full byelaws before you venture out. It's best to seek out the local experience of other cruisers in your area.
    There is information on cruising sites on the website which will grow as more people check out slipways and byelaws and provide the info.

Chris Searle will be in touch about cruising in Sussex.

Talking Re: Cruising in the South East

Thanks for that, could not get to sheppy unfortunatly, but if Chris could make contact that would be a great help. Thanks for your help and friendly advice.

Neil

Forum God > 400 posts Family/group Member coles2196/01's Avatar

Hello, the South Downs Twig hold their meetings on the first Thursday in the month, so the next one will be on the 1st October. We meet at 7.30 at 29 Vale Road, Haywards Heath, RH16 4JF at about 7.30 for a takeaway and chat. We do have active cruising members plus members who both cruise and race! You will be very welcome and we look forward to meeting you!
    Growing old is compulsory -
    Growing up is optional!

Very active > 100 posts Council
    Club Member

More than welcome to come along... I am in Pevensey Bay.. PM me if you want a lift?

Talking Re: Cruising in the South East

That sounds great, I will check diary and be back in touch, many thanks for the offer, I am near Windmill hill, so not far away.