Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: softening resin

Extremely active > 250 posts! Club Member

Default softening resin

does anyone know of any substance that might soften hard resin

i made the mistake of allowing a student to use my gel coat spray gun - it looked like he'd cleaned it properly until i came to use it and there's solid resin inside it - any suggestions other than don't let other people use my gun

cheers

Tony

More than 10 posts! Club Member

Red face Re: softening resin

Have you tried acetone Tony, it pretty much softens anything. Good luck.

Extremely active > 250 posts!

Default Re: softening resin

I think you will find that resin still sets in acetone. Try not cleaning your brush properly and see how it clogs up, even when immersed
    Tony I think you have a problem. I have yet to hear of anything that will do the job.
    Regards,

Kip

Extremely active > 250 posts! Club Member

thanks stu, tried acetone and if you've never found anything Kip then i'm sure there's nothing out there

we used to set fire to the old washer type rollers, the guns are usable so i'll not risk that yet

tony

More than 30 posts!

There is a proprietary solvent sold under the name 23-EpoxSol in the USA and just EpoxSol in the UK/Europe which claims to be effective, particularly if heated in a bath to about 20-22 deg. It does not damage aluminium or bronze. I did a quick google search but could not locate a source for small quantities. You might have better luck.

HTH
    Fanman_UK

Forum God > 400 posts

Sounds to me that there is only a little bit clogging the hole, have you tried giving it a smack with a hammer, the vibrations should shatter the hard resin and lots of little bits should come falling out. This however is a last resort before throwing it away, I might not work and I do not want to be responsible for your loss. I do that with my mixing stick, works great. Gut on a gun, not sure.
    In the beginning there was the Cube; I know where is came from and it has the power to create Hover life. But with great power comes great Fun.

Very active > 100 posts Comps Cttee.
    Scrutineer
    Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by broad5186 View Post
    does anyone know of any substance that might soften hard resin
    yup. Crash it into catch netting. Softens it up a treat.....

Jamie

Extremely active > 250 posts!

styrene! if you can get hold of it, will probably be the only thing that will break down hard resin. acetone wont work!

You used to be able to buy styrene in a can, to paint onto a repair section on a boat hull, it would soften the old resin, so a repair would take. give Cornish Fibre Glass supplies a call.
    Last edited by curtis5420; 8-Oct-09 at 08:23 PM.
    Jon