+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: To all Sev's

Forum God > 400 posts

Default To all Sev's

I am looking for pics of Sevtec dash and steering examples.

Not sure what I want to do yet.

Post a pic of your craft and maybe give us an idea of how it works for you as well as what you would have done different.

thanks guys
    In the beginning there was the Cube; I know where is came from and it has the power to create Hover life. But with great power comes great Fun.

Forum God > 400 posts

Default Re: To all Sev's

The dash design is really up to you - it depends on exactly what you want on the panel (probably not very much is needed!). Make it sloping so you can see everything whilst sitting.

By far the easiest (and cheapest!) way to make a steering system is to use the handlebar pivot tube from a bicycle. It's lightweight, smooth and durable. The alternative is a length of tubing (conduit or ali) and a couple of HDPE blocks as bearings and mounts (check your plans). Whether you use handlebars or a steering wheel is personal preference - both work well but make sure a steering wheel is lightweight.

This version uses the remnants of the front wheel forks and the bike tube frame to mount the cables:
    DSCF1323.jpg

Note the bolt used as a travel limiter - you must have one at both the steering wheel AND rudder end of the system to avoid damaging the cables

Fixed throttles are the way to go in a cruising craft to avoid "finger fatigue" on long trips.
    Last edited by John Robertson; 20-Oct-09 at 03:41 PM.

Extremely active > 250 posts!

if twin engine a fixed lift throttle (maybe gear selector twist grip) is the way to go!

this dash is 1/4" ply covered in skirt material, bike yoke handle bar (similar to johns) but upright handles (to give that aircraft feel)
    Attached Images
    Jon

Forum God > 400 posts

Hi

This is the dashboard of my Surveyor - cool, eh?

DSC00411.jpg

Ok ok just dreaming...

Dash is 1/2" foam covered in 6oz cloth, cut to shape and supports the foredeck.

115-1550_IMG.jpg

Behind this is a second piece of 1/2" foam-cloth. Both these had large hole drilled in (holesaw) to accept nylon bushes as bearings for a steering column made out of tube. (Also note the tow point at the front - alum re-inforcing plate. Fit one now or regret it later!)

115-1555_IMG.jpg

Tow point - front:

115-1556_IMG.jpg

Rear:

115-1554_IMG.jpg

Handlebars - a regular bicycle swansneck fits directly on the steering tube.

PICT0007 crop.jpg

Ian
    Ian Brooks
    Gloucester, UK
    http://www.hoverclub.org.uk

Forum God > 400 posts

I like that one with all the lights and switches.

The steering idea is also practical, will have to do that too.

I cant decide if I should use a curved or square dash, I also do not want to block the hole too much, so that it can double as a bed. Maybe with a reading light in each corner.

I would prefer the steering to be in the middle, can I do this, or should I make it to the left of the dash.?

Not sure is I want the wife next to me or behind., I suppose two sitting right in front will give better weight distribution. But with the steering in the middle, the two passengers can sit further forward and then the back two will have more legroom.
    In the beginning there was the Cube; I know where is came from and it has the power to create Hover life. But with great power comes great Fun.

Extremely active > 250 posts!

middle steering and seating

unless your mrs weighs the same as you (mine is slightly more bulky) then the craft will not be level.

also if someone is behind you they can see the way you lean into corners and copy you,
    Jon

Forum God > 400 posts

Quote Originally Posted by atters View Post
    I like that one with all the lights and switches.

The steering idea is also practical, will have to do that too.

I cant decide if I should use a curved or square dash, I also do not want to block the hole too much, so that it can double as a bed. Maybe with a reading light in each corner.

I would prefer the steering to be in the middle, can I do this, or should I make it to the left of the dash.?

Not sure is I want the wife next to me or behind., I suppose two sitting right in front will give better weight distribution. But with the steering in the middle, the two passengers can sit further forward and then the back two will have more legroom.

Like many things, it'll come down to preference in the end. The Sev will take some degree of offset weight, but a person used to a small segment craft is likely to try to trim it level at all times - I do! But John R doesn't has his steering at the side per plans ad it seems to work fine. In general, the Sev is much less sensitive to trim than a segment skirted craft.

Ian
    Ian Brooks
    Gloucester, UK
    http://www.hoverclub.org.uk

Very active > 100 posts Club Member

I put the steering on the left of my vanguard and generaly sit behind the wheel on the left, it levels out pretty well even with a full tank of fuel (30ltrs) which is on the same side...

Russ..

+ Reply to Thread