Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-Think

Extremely active > 250 posts!

Default Re-Think

Can we please have a slight re-think on the format of the forum.
    One of the cleverest and funniest postings we have ever had, which deserves a much wider audience has vanished into the Limbo Land known as Hover Inn.
    I am of course referring to Phillips "Down fall of Hitler"

One minute it is there for all to see and then it's gone.
    I surely cannot be the only one who has to search for a previous posting to find where it finished up.

Perhaps now that we have become used to the new Web site it is time to have a look at what works and what is rarely used.
    As a former critic of some of the changes, I do recognise the many advantages and tools we know have, but I have a problem with the shuffling around of postings
    I have seen too many brilliant posts brought to an untimely halt by disappearing to the back page.

Regards, Disgruntled Kip of near Tunbridge Wells

NB.To self: Don helmet and wait for flack

Very active > 100 posts Club Member

Default Re: Re-Think

That wouldn't be the funny article taking the mick out of Sev's would it Kip?

Regards

Steve H

Nicholas Flint

Gosh, Kip Mac being edgy and controversial. I guess it had to happen eventually! As a newly rejoined member still keeping his head relatively below the parapet, I still feel the forum is astonishing and marvel when my phone alerts me to responses to my occaisional postings. I am however easily pleased (you have to be, once past "a certain age"). I too have noticed that things go missing during the night but thought, that was me!
    Having just returned from the Severn Blast (moist it was) I feel Winter may be a good time to review such matters, bearing in mind I STILL feel it is a fabulous web site for all to use. However, even those sites can sometimes be "tweaked" to approximate perfection even closer. (A little like hovercraft) See other post ref Severn Cruise. Nicholas Flint

Administrator

Thanks for the comments Kip.

I think that there may be a misunderstanding on how the main site page works. The main page is just a snapshot of what is going on in all of the forums and other areas - it only shows brief information with shortcuts to the various areas. The example thread you mention hasn't actually disappeared or been moved anywhere at all. All that has happened is that it has "dropped off" the bottom of the list of recent forum posts (as displayed on the main site page) because it is older than the next six newer posts. It will reappear there if someone posts something new to that thread.

You can go straight to the forum display pages at http://www.hovercraft.org.uk/vbforum.php which shows all of the forums on this site (any new activity (that you haven't read) is shown by an orange arrow on the forum folder or by a flashing button next to a sub forum.

Keep the comments coming!

Cheers
    Web Admin
    http://www.hovercraft.org.uk

Extremely active > 250 posts!

Yes John, but if no one replys it sinks further into oblivion.
    Right now, where do you find Philips post if you are unaware of it's existence.
    I do feel that some posts are worthy of much more attention than they sometimes get .
    I suggest that we have to many forums to browse through.

I much preferred the 3 original forums,ie, General,Cruising and Racing.

Please remember that we all have varying degrees of computer skills and I would imagine most of us only use them as amateurs

He who knocks in nails with his phone.

Kip

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by KipMac View Post
    Right now, where do you find Philips post if you are unaware of it's existence. .... I suggest that we have to many forums to browse through.
    If you haven't read the post yet then it appears in "new posts" (top right in the welcome box). These are posts that you haven't read yet (everyone will see a different list when they click this) - you don't need to browse through any forums to read things that you haven't read yet because the web site automatically remembers what you have already read (handy for us folk with memory limitations ) .
    I do feel that some posts are worthy of much more attention than they sometimes get.
    I agree - the forums actually have a rating system available (see "rate thread" at the top of each thread you view) where you can "vote" for your favourite post. I could add a "top rated threads" section to the main page but, the problem is that almost no-one uses the rating option at the moment so nothing would appear there!
    I much preferred the 3 original forums,ie, General,Cruising and Racing.
    The forums are just folders that make the posts appear to be organised, everything is actually stored in one big heap and is only "organised" when you look at it. It's well worthwhile learning how to use Google (or the search function on this site - this thread has info on using it) - then you can find almost anything quickly and easily!
    Please remember that we all have varying degrees of computer skills and I would imagine most of us only use them as amateurs
    What makes you think I'm a professional
    Web Admin

Forum God > 400 posts

My 2 cents... Could we maybe, while we are at it, place a copy of the "next thread - Previous thread" at the top of the thread as well. Now I read the last post then have to scroll down to go the the next one, and as you know, some threads get really long and one's finger can get to hurt from all that scrolling, not that I do not need the exercise..
    In the beginning there was the Cube; I know where is came from and it has the power to create Hover life. But with great power comes great Fun.

Administrator

Atters,

I can't change the position of the next/previous thread but there are other ways to get what you want:

Go to your UserCP (top right) and, on the left under Settings & Options, click Edit Options. Look under Thread Display Options -> Number of Posts to Show Per Page and set it to whatever suits you (1 ,2, 3, etc). OR change the Thread Display Mode to Hybrid for a single-page display.

Web Admin