Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I O W Easter Cruise

Extremely active > 250 posts!

Default Re: I O W Easter Cruise

Thanks to All for the input,
    John,
    I can't at the moment access Sailtrain as my computer shuts it down due to malicious virusy type problems. I will however keep trying.
    There is no question that around The Needles will be the major challenge.
    Fortunately it comes early on in the trip so if that is feasible the rest should be OK.
    We may have to abort at that point, we will have to see on the day.
    Ken,
    I think that also covers your point.
    Bryan,
    Again the above should reassure you and Yes it can get very rough.
    It has been done before.
    By the way ,it's PLS not PQS. You should know that. Still after 40 the Grey cells do wander off a bit.
    My Paul and Lindsay Gatward went around about 20 years ago in 2 Freedom 3's.
    One with Rotax 503 and the other with a Reliant Robin engine.
    They had a few minor mechanical problems but I like to think we have come on a long way since then.
    Ross and any one else.

As it is a 4 day weekend there will be plenty of time to play at your own pace with no pressure.
    I think it will be an ideal opportunity for us all to add to our knowledge and move forward with regard to PLS qualifications.

I would appreciate any volunteers who could perhaps give a talk, preferably on Friday with regard to Safety at Sea / Legislation, etc.
    From the info already on the Forum I will at a later date publish a list of Musts and Desirables with regard to Equipment,Clothing, Communications,etc.

Regards to All, Kip

Forum God > 400 posts

Kip,

There are also copies of the colregs (or to give them their proper title "International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea" ) HERE or HERE plus many other places.

Alternatively, the online PLS1 knowledge test and the Training Event Presentation (also covers equipment, etc ) cover the basics with a hover-slant. Hint: always turn RIGHT and you won't go far wrong in most situations

Cheers John, But 227 pages!!
    I think I will keep trying Sailtrain

Kip

Very active > 100 posts Club Member

Opps correct i should know better .....PLS is the way forward. Kip if you need any help on the day feel free to get me on board.

Assuming your not still sulking from your Karting thrashing!!

What would we do without our little ray of sunshine?

Kip

Only 18 days to go so I reckon itís time to resurrect this post.

Have you all got your tickets to Ryde.

From the replies I have had we definitely have a goer.
    Weather permitting we should have a great Easter break. Even if the weather is a bit anti withPortsmouth and Gosport next door and the regular hovercraft runs to the IOW there are plenty of options to keep ourselves amused.

I am looking for some help with equipment.

Can any one bring along a marquee/Gazebo.
    A barbeque, mine is a bit tired.
    A generator would help and finally would any one be prepared to give a short brief talk on general guidance of the Rules at Sea.

I am anticipating sufficient cover with safety boats however I would appreciate those that have volunteered their services coming back to me to confirm as they are a vital part of the weekend.

Finally for now .I recently visited the Museum and had to spend far too long looking for a much needed hacksaw.
    These lads are all volunteers and spend an awful lot of their time restoring the craft.
    They desperately need tools so if any one has a surplus I am sure they would be grateful for whatever you can dig out.
    Please have clear out and even Imperial tools are useful bearing in mind the age of some of the craft.

Any questions please PM me.

Regards, Kip

Forum God > 400 posts

Unfortunately I'm up to my neck in getting the craft ready for the Training Event so I can't come. I have the Training Presentation which would be the basis for the Safety Talk - if someone can be found to present it... would need to be someone who has attended a past Training Event.

Ian
    Ian Brooks
    Gloucester, UK
    http://www.hoverclub.org.uk

Shame you can't make it Ian.
    Hope the training event goes OK
    Any volunteer to take over the reins on this one? (Please.Please!!)