Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BMW Engine problem..

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member

Default BMW Engine problem..

Hi all,

I was playing with my engine yesterday and was having a bit of a problem with it....

With the engine running I removed the N01 spark plug cap and the engine died....
    I replaced the plug cap and started the engine again, removed No2 plug cap and it made no difference to the engine at all... kept running...
    I then tried removing No3 plug cap and again no difference even with No's 2 and 3 plug caps removed, no difference...
    Then when I removed No4 plug cap the engine died!

Now the engine will start but does back-fire a bit…..

Would I be right in assuming the coil(s) have died?

I notice one coil runs No's 1 and 4 cylinders, whilst the other coil runs cylinders 2 and 3.

Are the coils interconnected some way or can (should) I just replace one coil?

Thanks all,

B.

Forum God > 400 posts

Default Re: BMW Engine problem..

Brian,

I'm sure the BMW experts will be along shortly but it might be worth swapping the coils (and connections) to see if the problem IS actually the coil (it could be the wiring rather than the coil ).

Good point that John.

I have not taken the coils off so am not sure if they are handed as they have a little sticker on them saying...
    Zyl.1u.4 Kl.Nr.1 Blau
    Zyl.2u.3 Kl.Nr.1 Rot

Which I assume says,
    Cylinder's 1 and 4. Coil 1 Blue wires,
    Cylinder's 2 and 3. Coil 2 Red wires

You see, 3 years in the RAF serving in Germany did pay off!!! (maybe...)

Thank you,

B.

Very active > 100 posts Club Member

Hi Brian, like John says swap over the coils but before that check the wiring and more importantly try a new set of plugs. Its backfiring because of unbunt fuel. K100 coils are not usually a problem area and are cheap on fleabay. Philip

P.S. for understanding German consider this EU directive:

The European Union commissioners have announced that agreement has been reached to adopt English as the preferred language for European communications, rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, the British government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five-year phased plan for what will be known as EuroEnglish (Euro for short).

In the first year, "s" will be used instead of the soft "c". Sertainly, sivil servants will resieve this news with joy.

Also, the hard "c" will be replaced with "k". Not only will this klear up konfusion, but typewriters kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced by "f". This will make words like "fotograf" 20 per sent shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.

Governments will enkorage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of silent "e"s in the languag is disgrasful, and they would go.

By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" by "z" and "w" by " v".

During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou", and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze forst place...

Very active > 100 posts Club Member

Nice one Phil i zhink my German haz iprovan no end. Oh and i would agree with Phil that the plugs do fail. This i,m sure will be the fault as your engine has had a good thrashing. Before you go spending any cash just change the coils around and check the problem stays the same.Good to here your getting the monster ready for another wet summer.

Nice one Phil! I will be passing that one on!

I have now taken the engine out to do an oil and filter change!
    That will make access easier whilst it is out, I will build something to hold it all in place and bench run it!

The plugs are not that old but I do have a spare new set so I will be give that a try.

Yes you are right Bryan, oil change, filter change, NEW skirt!!... is there no end to my servicing this year?????

With the skirt completly removed it looks like a speed boat!

B.

More than 30 posts! Scrutineer
    Club Member

Hi Brian,

If when you get the engine back in and you still have problems give me a call, I am quite and 'expert' (has been drip under pressure) with these engines and it will be easier to sort out problems over the phone

Keith

Vortex Services

Thank you Keith, dam decent of you Sir!

B.