Thread: Skirting

More than 10 posts!

Default Skirting

Hi all,

I am at an interesting juncture of my project. The progress has been pretty good so far.

Please take a look at this pic:

http://picasaweb.google.co.in/ashwin...60220559943938

Is this ok for a bag skirt? Should the holes be provided like in the pic?

Also i'm in a dilemma regarding the skirt material. Which is more preferable - a thick nylon material like the one used for parachutes or tarpaulin material?

Forum God > 400 posts

Default Re: Skirting

Hello

If you can PM me an email address that can accept a 10meg attachment, I'll send you some details on how to design a bag skirt that I'm sure will be helpful.

I'm assuming that you are trying to create a low pressure deformable bag skirt which can provide a stabilising moment for the craft, and is resistant to tuck-under. There a couple of issues in the drawings as presented...

1 - the inner radius of the inner section of the bag looks to be the same as the out section - this isn't the case, the inner radius will be larger than the outer radius, and if the system is designed well can be assumed to be straight.

2 - the air feed holes arn't needed. It's more efficient to dump 80-90% of the lift air directly into the cushion, using a splitter plate to divert 10-20% to feed the bags.

If you can receive the file I have here, it will explain more than I can in this short post.

Regarding material, typical 550-600gm/m^2 tarpaulin material is economical and easy to put together - probably the right choice for your project.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Brooks; 6-Mar-10 at 07:51 PM.
    Ian Brooks
    Gloucester, UK
    http://www.hoverclub.org.uk

More than 10 posts!

Smile Re: Skirting

@Ian : Thanks a ton!!
    I've messaged you my id.Looking forward to receiving that file.
    Thanks again
    Ashwin