Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sewing thread

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member

Default Re: Sewing thread

Hi Peter, please forgive me for pointing out a few issues and rules. I do not believe you are a club member so I will have to make a few assumptions..... I mean you no ills and would welcome you as a new member with open arms to what I believe is a great club!

There are a few HCGB members working very, very hard within the club to get us (hovercraft operators) permission to use the tidal waterways within this country of ours.

We operate under a strict code-of-conduct and are up against a few people that are doing there dammedest to get all PWC (Personal Water Craft) banned from everywhere.

As with all things in this country, it only takes one bad apple and we are all in trouble, please read our code of conduct notes and adhere to them.

If you go to the Humber Rescue site they will ask you to show your life jackets, VHF Radio, flares and an idea of what you intend to do.

I have only been there once under the guidance of Garry which is probably a good start, I am of course making assumptions as to your level of competence.

This sounds like I am preaching a bit here, please forgive me, I just do not want the hard work of the members to be spoilt.

If you are a member then once again I apologise, if you are not then please introduce yourself, we are mostly friendly and Garry is almost house trained!

Thank you, take care,

Brian.

Extremely active > 250 posts! Club Member firth5731's Avatar

the humber is the most dangerous river in england.
    i have seen several people removed from the river in body bags for various reasons.The water speed is 7 knots and there are miles of mud flatts and debris floating around,
    the river is a major route and can get quite busy.
    if you want to use the site that is fine however i feel you would be foolish to take the river lightly.
    I passed a day skipper course,vhf and frequently fish the north sea and i still get nervous on the river.
    If you want details of the site they are on the cruising forum which you can access in the members area.I intend to go quite allot this year and you are more than welcome to come.I usually post a message stating my intentions on the cruising forum.(a woft on the humber)
    and see if anyone is playing out.
    cheers gaz
    infamy ,infamy, they`ve all got it infamy

Less than 10 posts so far!

Hi,

thanks for the info. That's the wrong part of the river for me, too deep, too dangerous.

I was hoping you'd say off Cleethorpes beach, mud-flats, streams, not deep water. More to my liking. I'm not a sailor :-)

Regards
    Peter

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member Jon Pert's Avatar

Smile Re: Sewing thread

Peter,

I would seriously consider joining the club so you have access to the members area. There is a wealth of very valuable information in there that will keep you safe and hovercrafting as a pastime safe as well.

You mention Cleethorpes beach. I presume (hope) you are only using this to launch from and then you will be gone from the area for a considerable amount of time. You will need permission to launch from there otherwise you will more than likely get a red faced beach warden chasing after you. We as a club are trying to steer people away from operating on a beach and nearly killing grannies and dogs and making a lot of noise etc. Launching from a beach and returning a few hours later after your trip would be fine once you have gained the permission of the beach warden.

Mud flats are great to explore on a hover but a word of warning. It is very difficult to see gullies that have been cut into the mud flats. You could be quite happily cruising along and then you will come across a gulley with a 4 foot drop, by then it will be too late and you will be going over the edge and landing in a heap. Just a word of warning, when operating on mud flats keep the speed low so that you can see well ahead of you.

Just a few words of advice for you.
    Cheers

SixpackPert

"Computer games don't affect kids. If Pacman would have affected us as children, we would now run around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music"

Funny thing you mention gullies...

When I was with Garry on the Humber we decided to head a bit down river and I was a bit ahead of Garry when I saw what looked to me to be a good mud river entrance on my left, I slowed down but had no idea if I should look at it or go past, so I went past..

When Garry reached it he had a look but decided not to try either.

A bit later I passed the same river entrance from the other direction and noticed there was a massive (4 foot ish... massive to me!) drop which I did not see from the other side!

Case in point!

I must point out to you avid readers that I am un-experienced in these sort of things so my motto is, if in doubt, don't do it!

Like they say in the aviation world, better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than in the air wishing you were on the ground....

Ill shut up now!

B.

Extremely active > 250 posts! Club Member firth5731's Avatar

mud is fantastic now i have a 2 engine craft.set the lift engine to low and not as much muck in the face,result .it is great also for sledging but you must be straight when you touch down for the slide or you will be straighter quicker than you think.
    infamy ,infamy, they`ve all got it infamy

Very active > 100 posts Club Member

Hurry!!!! I,m glad to read this sort of post. The advice given out is spot on. To all on lookers don,t be shy pay your membership and gather endless pages of great info. This will only help to inhance your hovercraft journey.
    Maybe one day manufactures will give out the same info!!!! I won,t hold my breath.

Peter, are you still there?

I hope this does not sound like we are having a pop at you? Completely the opposite!

I was going to try and get to the Humber this Saturday but I seem to have a lot of skirt segies waiting to be stitched!!!

The following w/e, 24th/25th Apr I am on the sea safety course at Allhallows, 200 miles away!

So when I do try again I should be able to give you a ride if you wish? You will always be welcome.

B.