Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newbie questions: Please bear with me!

Less than 10 posts so far!

Default Re: Newbie questions: Please bear with me!

Where would it be best to use a smaller hovercraft? Are they really only suitable for land use, or flat water? I ask because as I said, I live in the middle of a city - no land of my own. I wasn't thinking about making any huge sea journeys with it

Very active > 100 posts Club Member

Post Re: Newbie questions: Please bear with me!

Winter (what's your first name?)

I lived near the Clyde until a year ago. I have taken my hovercraft from Port Glasgow to the middle of Glasgow five or six times. I've also taken it up Loch Long, Gareloch, Holy Loch, Great and Little Cumbrie and up river towards Paisley (the Cart) and also up river towards Loch Lomond. I don't claim to know the area like someone who has lived and worked on it all their lives but I can say I know, love and respect the area a lot. You are a lucky lucky lucky potential hovercrafter. I would move back in a minute if it were possible (apart from the precipitation, it does rain a lot). I would take a smaller hovercraft with good freeboard up the Clyde where it is more sheltered. I would not take a smaller craft anywhere else on the estuary or lochs. The conditions change so quickly and so often, you IMO should not consider anything less than 14 feet. You, your two passengers and gear (you'll need more than a rubber ring and some snickers bars) plus contingency dictate that a slightly larger craft is required. This a fact and not opinion. My next build is 14 feet and the one after is going to be16 feet. This suits my needs and the sea and weather conditions I've experienced. Also for me the difference between building a 12 foot or 14/16 foot hovercraft is so small and not worth being concerned about. I have never been hovercrafting and thought I could do with a smaller hovercraft but can say I've thought I could use a wee bit larger one on several occasions !!!!!!
    You should join the club, it will provide you with a lot of relevant information that will help you make a decision and it costs pennies in relation to the cost of a build or buy. You will get you monies worth out of it, and they even value your Scottish pound as a pound when you join, not bad I say !!!!!!!!

Steve

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member

Hello "Winter" you know you want to.... come on joint us and never have any money again!!!!

I am planning of attending the “Scottish” event as I have seen a lot of their video’s and it looks massive fun up there!

I will be bringing my 16.5 foot Osprey 5 which I love! I have lots of images of it on my website, follow the Hovercraft links…

www.Reynolds-Towers.com

It is meant to be a 5 seater and I have had 2 adults, 2 almost adults and 2 10 ish year olds in it and it did get over hump! But only in ideal waters inland…

I expect to have spare seats so if you pop over you are more than welcome to join in the fun.

B.

I've noticed that one of the commonly used materials is a kind of foam board that (looks like!) it's fairly easy to work with, and has good strength vs weight, but is quite expensive.

I might be able to get hold of aluminium honeycomb for a reasonable price - basically it's a 0.6mm thick skin of aluminium, then a framework of tiny honeycomb, and then another skin of aluminium. I've seen it used as flooring material, it seems to have really good strength and it's very light too. I'm getting a bit sent to me so I can work out the weight if it was in a bigger sheet - has anyone here used that type of material? I can basically get it for a bulk suppliers cost, because they'll order me a few extra sheets when they're buying hundreds at a time, and they might even cut to a pattern for me, so providing it's going to be at least as strong as that foam board and no heavier, I'm thinking it might be a good way to go.

Any thoughts on using aluminium in this way??

More than 30 posts! Club Member pest619's Avatar

Ive been using some half inch thick alu honeycomb like you describe and they are using it on Griffon craft as decks, walls etc. It may be slight overkill to build a whole sev craft out of it- they only problems are the weight and how you join the seams- must be glassing or riveted sheets of alu as there is glue attaching honeycomb to skins.

Well, I was thinking more of using it on some sort of frame to be honest, and probably riveting it on, although that obviously depends on what the frame is made of.

If you did that, could the seams / joins between the panels be fixed with something like silicone or something like a marine version of bathroom sealant? - it wouldn't need to be structural, just watertight, since the stresses would be all in the framework.

Is it a lot heavier than the foam boards? I'll be able to weigh some soon when it arrives midweek.