Thread: Engine removal and strip down

Administrator

Default Engine removal and strip down

Message originally posted by hector46 on 22-Feb-10 at 07:13 PM:

It's still like the arctic here in the NE of Scotland -8 centigrade this morning. That didn't stop me from working on 'Alice Mary' yesterday. I disconnected all the usual things like exhaust, electrics, fuel and starter cables. Two of the engine studs have seized to the frame. I persuaded them off with lube and a large socket with T bar. One of the welded mounts parted company from the frame and will need welded back on. The fan boss and top half of the fan were still attached to the engine so I wiggled it rather than lifting it out fairly easily.
    Once on the bench I set about the fan hub with a hammer and a blow torch.....gently but firmly, nothing happened at first but persistence pays in the end and off it came, I was pleased. I won't forget the copper slip the next time!!!!! Then was remove the taperlok pulley, governor (turning to Fe02 rapidly), starter motor (very corroded top bracket), inlet manifold and carb and some tin work.

The main aim is to replace as many fasteners as possible, replace leaking sump gasket, replace lower crank seal just in case, overhaul starter which works fine but has suffered from salt water spray. Fit modified cylinder heads and inlet manifold, replace flywheel key to advance the ignition timing, make new stainless more efficient header and replace the throttle and choke mechanisms with neater stainless versions. I will also fit a BX drive belt in place of the SPA fitted at the moment. Still have to find that MIG Welder and the time to do it all !!!!!!!!
    Web Admin
    http://www.hovercraft.org.uk

More than 10 posts! Club Member

Default Re: Engine removal and strip down

What kind of an engine is that John,and what's it used for?
    John Mc.

Very active > 100 posts Club Member

It's my Vanguard 23hp 38 CI after two and a half years of being near the sea. I sprayed some cold zinc on a few of the corroded parts to slow down the corrosion. It is not as bad as it looks !!!!

Steve

More than 10 posts! Club Member

Hi Steve,
    As you can see I know nothing as yet about hovercraft.
    What is 23hp used for? Is it the thrust or the lift? and what are the dimensions of your hovercraft?
    John.

Hi John, I'm sure you'll pick it up quick enough. Anyway we are all still learning especially with regard to hovercraft.

The engine on my craft powers a 24" lift fan directly coupled to the engine and also a 59" aircraft prop driven via a BX V belt. The craft is 14'X7' and weighs around 230kg's ready to fly. It cruises between 12-32 mph depending on the sea state and wind.

Some craft use a single fan with the airflow split to lift and push-eg Flying Fish. Others use two engines, one to operate a lift fan and the other to operate a thrust fan eg BBV's

The main advantage with my type of craft is a bit less noise and much less spray. I could go out without waterproof gear and not get wet although I wouldn't!!!!! The disadvantage of my type of craft would be storage, it will not fit in a garage, it's also not the nicest looking although I will be attempting to improve the aesthetics with the next one.

Keep asking it's a good way to learn

Steve

Extremely active > 250 posts!

its worht letting him know, thats a vertical shaft engine. i.e. the pic is look down onto it, in its installed orientation.
    Jon

You've done it !!

Cheers