Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New girl! :)

Less than 10 posts so far!

Default New girl! :)

Hi,

My name's Haley and I've joined this community as I'm looking to buy/build a hovercraft

When I was in the air cadets I drove/flew(?) an Osprey and I loved it so my Dad is going to help me with a hovercraft of my own. We are looking to either build an Osprey from scratch or get a non-runner and do it up as I want to learn how everything works as I go along so when stuff breaks, I should know my way around the hovercraft pretty well and hopefully manage to fix it

Soooo yeah, pleased to meet you all x

More than 30 posts! Club Member

Default Re: New girl! :)

Hi,

try keeping an eye out on ebay for craft, usually ones which need a bit of work up for sale.

James E

Extremely active > 250 posts! Club Member

good luck with it, my daughter Laura loves hovercraft and racing them - she moves up to formula 3 this year so she'll be racing against me, can't wait

tony

Cheers James, I will

Tony, sounds fun! Are there a lot of girls that race then? I would love to get my skills and the hovercraft up to a high enough standard for racing etc. Where abouts are the races usually held? I'm in Fife so probably quite far away from where it's all happening.

Haley

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member Jon Pert's Avatar

Hi and welcome.

Here is a map of the race sites in the UK. http://www.hovercraft.org.uk/showthr...d-a-race-event

We have quite a few female racers in the club so you would be in good company.

First question for you is what is your budget?
    Cheers

SixpackPert

"Computer games don't affect kids. If Pacman would have affected us as children, we would now run around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music"

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member

Good morning and welcome Haley.

One of the first things that amazed me when I took up racing was the amount of girls and women involved, fantastic bunch!

You could do worst than buy the clubs "The Constructors Guide" and build a wood craft. I know some people knock it but it got me through the Novice part, mine worked very well and I had great fun building it!

You have to learn, woodwork, sewing, engines, electrical, welding, fibre glassing.... loads of different disciplines!

Have a look at my site, www.Reynolds-Towers.com go to the hovercraft page and from there you will find loads of pictures of me building the craft, and later repairing my craft…. And repairing my craft…. And repairing….. you get the message!

There are some very clever people in this group, I am not one of them! So go for it, you WILL love it!

Brian.

Very active > 100 posts Club Member

Perhaps there will be a Scottish race venue one day. THE HAGGIS CUP !!!!!!!

Steve

Thank you for the welcomes

Jon, looks like the closest race venue to me is 300 miles away I'm not too sure of my budget myself, as it depends what state the craft I get is in etc. and being new to this, I'm not too sure how much I should be expecting to pay.

Brian, I've actually just spent quite a bit of time going through your website and all it's pictures etc. It was a really good read so thanks It makes me want to build my own craft, although I'm not sure time would allow as I've seen how much work went into yours.

Haha the haggis cup sounds like a plan!

Haley