Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new member :-)

Less than 10 posts so far!

Default new member :-)

Hi Folks, I've joined this club to get some information. im new to hovering and im thinking of designing and building a craft from scratch. im an aircraft engineer by trade so the technicalities wont be a problem. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! especialy on finger skirt design. I've already found some interesting bits and bobs, but any more info is always welcome. like what the difference in shape between a straight finger and an extended finger is? it's not going to be a racing craft, more of a recreational toy. i look forward to hearing from any of you!
    cheers, karl.
    p.s. ive had my account validated, but i still cant view any of the galleries?
    does anyone know why this is? thanks

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member Winst's Avatar

Default Re: new member :-)

Quote Originally Posted by krothero View Post
    p.s. ive had my account validated, but i still cant view any of the galleries?
    does anyone know why this is? thanks
    Jon Pert will be able to help you with this.
    Shouldn't be long before he appears.

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member Jon Pert's Avatar

Hmmm, odd.

Do you get any error messages when you try and view an album?

Try viewing this one and let me know what happens...

http://www.hovercraft.org.uk/album.php?albumid=26
    Cheers

SixpackPert

"Computer games don't affect kids. If Pacman would have affected us as children, we would now run around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music"

Extremely active > 250 posts! Club Member

hello and welcome to our world

a bit more info on your ideas would help - one person ? sea or inland - engine type/size

a craft from scratch is a daunting task, there are several sets of plans for various craft that make the home build process easier and you can alter and develop them to suit your needs

the clubs plans for the challenger are a little dated now and the skirt is not perfect

skirt design as with most aspects of hovercraft is a deep dark hole and you'll get five different answers to the same question - skirt design differs from craft to craft based on the weight and footprint of the skirt, finger skirts are relativley straightforward to make but getting skirt design right first time with a scratch build will be a challenge

i'm sure you'll have more questions than answers just keep asking and we'll do our best to guide you

have a look at some working craft first or even get a 2nd hand one to cut your teeth on so you're having fun whilst finding out about them rather than 2 years in the garage surrounded by dust and box section steel wishing things were moving along a bit quicker

good luck Tony

good luck

hi guys, thanks for the help, the galleries issue is sorted, i guess it just took a little time catch up or something? anyways, the craft im going to build is going to be made mostly from plywood. it will a 50hp wankel rotary aircraft engine in it for the thrust with a 2 bladed wooden prop. and i have an 18" ducted fan for the lift which will be driven by a second engine in the bow. im intending it to be used on land and water so i know i have to have enough boyancy for it to float with no power. this isnt going to be a proffessional craft by any means, but it will be an educated bodge craft. im looking forward to getting it started.
    i've only just moved house though so it will probably be a next summer project. im just collecting parts and ideas for the moment so i can get it done in one go when im ready. i will make sure i do a good picture gallery of my progress once it begins, and i look forward to showing it off, or hanging my head in shame when/if it does or doesnt work :-)

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member

Hello and welcome, have a gander at my early pictures of when I built a Challenger.

I had great fun with it and I am glad I entered racing this way due to the crashes I had during the learning stage!

Click

A great sport indeed!

B.

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member Winst's Avatar

That brings back some memories of when we built one at school.

thanks brian, those pictures helped a bit. thats the sort of thing im looking at building, although mine will be a twin engine to keep things simple :-) believe it or not, i've learned a whole lot just by joining this site, so cheers all of you! :-D if anyone can help with where i can find skirt segment patterns it would be most appreciated. i have one, and i think i could work out how to adapt it to suit, but to see how its actualy done would really help. like for example, whats the difference in shape between a normal finger and an extended finger? and with the rear segments is one big anti scoop flap better? or each segment having its own small flap?
    cheers for any help folks!