Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: new member :-)

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member Jon Pert's Avatar

Default Re: new member :-)

Quote Originally Posted by krothero View Post
    believe it or not, i've learned a whole lot just by joining this site
    There's even more info in the club member areas. It may be worth joining the club as it will only be a small amount compared to the amount of money you will spend on the build.
    Cheers

SixpackPert

"Computer games don't affect kids. If Pacman would have affected us as children, we would now run around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music"

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member

Before embarking on building a hovercraft from scratch, you need to consider what your craft will be used for, where it will be used, field, river, open sea. Whether you want to race it, or cruise. All these will have a bearing on hull design. I'm no expert and built a 16 foot sevtec serveyor from plans, but I would not want to design one from scratch knowing what I know now. A set of plans of a proven design is not going to cost a lot in comparison of what you will spend on building a craft. Expect to spend 12 months plus building & a fair amount of money, which could be wasted if your design does not work.

I'm not trying to put you off, far from it. I hope you do build a craft, but consider building a proven design. Hovercraft are great fun and building one becomes very addictive, as I,m sure others will back me up on, but hovercraft can also be very tempermental and costly if the design is not right.

Less than 10 posts so far!

hi, thanks for the new comments, as i said before, it will be used mostly on land and water, i dont think i will be using it in the sea. I wont be using it for racing, just for fun really so it doesnt have to be a super performance machine. i will be building something similar to whats already out there, it wont be anything radicaly different. im going to make scale models to help me work out how to build it, and i can guarentee you it will be the bodge of the century, but im pretty confident i can get it to work :-) and i think building a craft myself from plans in my head will be ultimatly more rewarding than using someone elses plans. i know this is fool hardy, but hey, im a bloke, we dont use instructions! they're for wimps! ha ha! :-D and i wont lose any sleep if it doesnt work, i'll just build an ATV or soemthing for my wankel to go in instead :-)
    thanks again for any help or advice advanced

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member Jon Pert's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krothero View Post
    ...but im pretty confident i can get it to work :-) and i think building a craft myself from plans in my head will be ultimatly more rewarding than using someone elses plans..
    Famous last words.

Good luck.

Keep us posted with your project.
    Cheers

SixpackPert

"Computer games don't affect kids. If Pacman would have affected us as children, we would now run around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music"

Hi, I to am new and I also wish to build my own hovercraft,

I have started to design my own but thought I'd better get some information before I go too far down the wrong road!!

I hope I am in the right place and on the right track!

Dave
    Attached Files Attached Files

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member

HI Squidwood & welcome.

Same advice regarding designing your own as given above. Decide what you want to use the hovercraft for as this effects hull design. How big, how many people you wish to carry. Integrated, seperate thrust & lift engines. lots to think about. As a first project consider buying a set of plans or a kit for a proven design. The cost of the plans is insignificant compared to what a hovercraft is going to cost you to build & the amount of time invested on your part. What ever you decide build it light as weight is your enemy.

Thanks.

think i will go for the plans as like you said the design will work.

i require the craft to carry two people, would like it to be able to move over land and water and a speed of 30mph ish!!

i want to build my own to learn more about the hovercraft, and plus i enjoy making things, (i built a boat last year) i have access to most resources like wood, metal and fibre glass and i guess my time is my own!

I just realy want one

Dave

Extremely active > 250 posts! Club Member

hi - looking at your pdf it's a bit on the small side - most single seaters are approx 3m x 1.8m and a 500mm fan will be small and very noisy

stick to a known plan to start with or make good a 2nd hand craft, otherwise you could spend a lot of time and be very disappointed

good luck and keep us posted