Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beaches

Less than 10 posts so far!

Default Beaches

Hi I'm new to this BTW .

How do you find out whether you can use a hovercraft on any particular beach ?

Regards

Smurf

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member Jon Pert's Avatar

Default Re: Beaches

Hi there.

Firstly, what type of craft do you have?

Secondly, please try and find somewhere else to operate! I will explain this below.

We have been encouraging against the use of beaches because, in the past, this has led to hovercraft being banned from that area. This is mainly because of people making a nuisance of themselves, creating a lot of noise in one area and breaking down...a lot.

We are trying to turn the tide of conventional thinking that hovercraft are noisey and a dangerous.

We have had long correspondance to re-gain launch rights at some beaches and they have only been approved with strict guidelines that club members must abide by ie: launch permit needed, only launching NOT hovering up and down the beach knocking over old ladies etc, must be a club member, craft must have SSR number, must have insurance etc etc. These permits are in place to protect our members. If someone who is not a club member causes an issue then it is only them that gets banned, not our club members.

If you feel you must operate on a beach please do the following:

1, Contact the beach warden and explain exactly what you want to do. If he says no then that means no!
    2, Stay well away from members of the public, they become like magnets when travelling towards them and an accident is the last thing you need.
    3, Get insurance.
    4, Avoid prolonged operation if your craft is noisey.
    5, Ensure the engine and electrics are well marinised, salt is a killer!
    6, Don't kill anyone!

Please don't take what I have said as a negative I just feel that I had to let you know where we are coming from. I, personally, really would recommend against operation on a beach unless you are only using it as a launch point for a days cruising around the coast.

Where abouts are you in the country?
    Cheers

SixpackPert

"Computer games don't affect kids. If Pacman would have affected us as children, we would now run around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music"

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member

Hi and welcome, Easy answer, probably with a great deal of trouble!

We have most of the country mapped either on the website or in members heads!

By that I mean that some sites have been documented but most of it s local knowledge and a lot of searching.

Where are you located? There is bound to be a member local to you.

One thing I will say is you have made the best move you could have done by contacting the club, hopefully, before you go onto a beach.

I am sure you know there are lots of people in this country that want to ban anyone from having fun so we, are as usual, treading on shells.

Some members have spent tons of their own time in conversation with the powers to be to secure us access to places, even if we have a legal right to be there! So please seek advice, as you have already done, before you venture anywhere.

I am of course making assumptions that you are new to hovercrafting?

If you can please give us a bit of your background so we can advise you better.

Someone else more knowledgeable will undoubtedly will be along soon to advise you further.

If you are new, you will soon be hooked!

Brian.

Agree with all the above and maybe a couple of other points. If the beach is pebble lift will be poor/non existent because the air leaks out between the pebbles. If its very soft dry sand it will blow around, annoying others and probably clogging your filters. Plus be careful in breaking waves, hovercraft are not good at surfing. Hard sand/soft wet sand is best, quicksands even better, unless you break down!
    Keith

Less than 10 posts so far!

Next Summer I want to sell ice cream from a hovercraft . Yes really . I was thinking of Cornwall , Lleyn peninsular or Cromer .

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member Jon Pert's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smurf View Post
    Next Summer I want to sell ice cream from a hovercraft.
    Can I have some sand with my 99 flake please mister?
    Cheers

SixpackPert

"Computer games don't affect kids. If Pacman would have affected us as children, we would now run around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music"

Forum God > 400 posts

Keith Oakley
    Re: Beaches

Bit like this? http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/newshome...ets.6215469.jp

Keith

PLEASE NO, we have no reputation, lets not spoil it
    In the beginning there was the Cube; I know where is came from and it has the power to create Hover life. But with great power comes great Fun.