Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CWM Hovercraft - school project!

More than 30 posts! Club Member

Default Re: CWM Hovercraft - school project!

You could use the sheet of ply for the trailer.

Extremely active > 250 posts! Club Member

If you try to re-invent the wheel, it probably won't work, you'll be disappointed and lose interest. Best to build something that WILL work and you'll have hours of fun.

another thing to bear in mind Calum is even when we have hovercraft that work they still take some tweaking and understanding to get them to work properly, it's taken me 5-6 years of development to get my hovercraft working as it is

i agree with Gavin - stick to what works, don't change things just for the sake of changing them or being different

just my advice

Less than 10 posts so far!

Hi again,
    Just to update you all, I'm keeping the deck at 8x4ft, and the skirt surface area will expand to 10x6ft when inflated.
    The Vespa engine has been scrapped, I've come across a Robin EC34 330cc engine - and got a 1.1m fan from K&M, plus I've had the engine mount and duct welded this weekend - we'll be assembling all of it tomorrow

A third of the air will be diverted through a duct at the back, directly into the skirt, using a PVC connecting piece. I'm also looking into variable splitter plates - what mechanism is used to control them from the cockpit? The plate isn't necessary, I just think it could be very useful.

I've also been looking into bodywork, fibreglass has proved too expensive, so I came up with the idea of using wooden ribs and struts with stretched fabric (probably PVC again) to give it a good look and slight rigidity? Has this been tried before? All space inside it would be filled with 2 part PU foam to help with buoyancy, so I'll also have to make it waterproof.

I'll also be picking up the skirt material tomorrow too - again, PVC, ~600gsm and 10x1.5m metres of it. As it will be a bag skirt, I'll get the whole thing shaped and connected to the deck in one piece.

Also, I've heard there is a yellow hovercraft on the Wirral, and it was seen near Hilbre Island last night? If you're on here, or know who it might be, get in touch please!

Calum

The hovercraft is very nearly finished, I never got the skirt material but that WILL be done tomorrow!
    The engine pylon, duct and fan are all in one unit waiting to be bolted to the deck and the steering is waiting for the same. Not long to go now!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0652.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	6109  

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member Jon Pert's Avatar

Is the fan guard infront or behind the fan?? Difficult to tell in the picture.
    Cheers

SixpackPert

"Computer games don't affect kids. If Pacman would have affected us as children, we would now run around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music"

good job so far - have you weighed it ?

tony

there's a steel cage on the rear of the fan, but they'll be attached to the front too - covering up the engine and exposed fan area. Also looking into nylon net, as that's what the RNLI hovercraft used