Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new to hovercrafts

Less than 10 posts so far!

Default new to hovercrafts

ok so im going to buy an eagle hovercraft (dont know the full make ) but it has no engine , what is best engine to put in to it ?

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member

Default Re: new to hovercrafts

What are you planning on doing with a hovercraft, (racing, cruising or going around in circles in a field)?

well starting off just as one to use when i go down to the beach ect

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member Jon Pert's Avatar

Please please don't do this.

A bit of background. Hovercraft have been banned from certain areas in the past due to people causing chaos on beaches with them.

People who enjoy cruising may need to use beaches as a launch point for their days travelling, ie. launch, go on a nice 40-50 mile trip round the coast and come back later to simply land and go home. Due to people buzzing around on the beach creating a lot of noise all hovercraft activity has been banned.

If you wish to cruise with the craft then I would recommend having a nose around here http://www.hoverclub.org.uk/

If you wish to go racing then all the info is here!!

Is there not a field near you that you can use for a bit of fun??
    Cheers

SixpackPert

"Computer games don't affect kids. If Pacman would have affected us as children, we would now run around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music"

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member

There are other technical problems with beaches too - hovercraft don't hover well on a pebble beach - the cushion air leaks out through the pebbles. Dry sand is blown around a lot and is a nuisance to others. Wet sand is great though. And hovercraft are not good going out through surf, its too easy to get a bucket of water through the fan! As Jon says most beaches are just a launch site for going somewhere else - somewhere nice and muddy perhaps!
    Keith

thats all the beach would be as a launch point , so i could just use it during the summers day to take my little sister out and about on the ocean
    back to the point ...

whats the best engine ?
    also what kinda weight restrictions are there ?

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member Jon Pert's Avatar

Okay, firstly we need to know what Eagle hull it is. The hull could not be suitable for many reasons. Not adequate bouyancy (keeps you floating if your engine fails). Low freeboard. Do you have a picture of the hull?

If you are operating in these conditions then a 4 stroke such as a Briggs & Stratton engine would be the best. It is quiter than a 2-stroke and more fuel efficient.

Before going any further I would have a chat with the beach warden first. He may not let you on anyway.

What is your budget?
    Cheers

SixpackPert

"Computer games don't affect kids. If Pacman would have affected us as children, we would now run around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music"

these are the best pics i have, budget is unlimited honestly , but not wanting to spend loads on it as i only paid 90 for it