Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone tell me what make this old craft might be?

Less than 10 posts so far!

Default Can anyone tell me what make this old craft might be?

It's in poor condition but it does run fine.
    The engines a VW and it has flexabile drive shafts to both props, the rear variable pitch.
    I'd like to bring it back to it's former glory.
    I'm good with fibreglass and mechanicals but as far as making skirts I'm baffled (but thats later)
    I wish it had the old skirts so I could understand more.
    I live in northern Australia and the nearest craft that i know of is a 2 hour plane ride away.
    Soo after being a lurker for the last week you guys seem quite helpfull to others so I joined.
    I live on a 50 acre block and have been getting stranded by water every wet season for 21 years(thats how long i've wanted a hovercraft)

My names Gary and i'm 50 and retired and I hope the piccy works
    Looking forward to hearing from you peeps
    Question 1,, what are those arms running down the sides? an electric engine raises and lowers them.

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member

Default Re: Can anyone tell me what make this old craft might be?

Welcome to the HCGB. It isn't a British design so I'd assume its Australian or possibly US. It's a very unusual design. I'm guessing those arms on the side are a kind of retractable solid skirt or sidewall. A sidewall craft has two solid sides to the air cushion which extend down into the water. The British HM2 is a classic 50? seat example from the 70s. In the HM2 the sides are fixed thus the craft can only really operate over water. However it does limit the side slipping that a conventional craft has when turning. Is there any sign of a fabric skirt at the front or the back of the cushion? - or possibly a brush skirt (I have vague memories of a US craft that might fit). I bet someone else can help more!

Keith

More than 10 posts! Club Member

Now thatís an old one... I am not sure i would call it a hovercraft, its something in-between a hovercraft and an airboat if i have understood it right. Its a CushionFlight 240.

Specifications

Engine: Volkswagen 1600cc, 4cylinder, 4cycle, air-cooled.
    Dimensions & Capacity: 146 length, 66 Width, 49 height, 425lb payload, 670lb unladen weight.

Performance: 30mph over water, 40 mph over land, climbs a 20% grade, hovers 2 to 4 above surface, carrys 2 adults, zero turning radius, 3.8 gallons per hour at cruise.
    Construction: All Fiberglass construction, sealed twin hull serves as floatation tanks.
    Note RevFlight Model 240 is coast-guard approved and licensed as a boat.

The brush like things on the side that can be lowered and raised is the skirt...i donít know how it works exactly. Looks like it could be a fun project but i dont think you could expect the same performance as an ordinary hovercraft with finger or bag skirts.

Good luck and remember that googel is your friend, spend an hour or two just searching on CushionFlight 240 and you will probably find some useful information. Sorry i could not be of more help.

Regards

Mats Edenfeldt
    Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by crusty View Post
    It's in poor condition but it does run fine.
    The engines a VW and it has flexabile drive shafts to both props, the rear variable pitch.
    I'd like to bring it back to it's former glory.
    I'm good with fibreglass and mechanicals but as far as making skirts I'm baffled (but thats later)
    I wish it had the old skirts so I could understand more.
    I live in northern Australia and the nearest craft that i know of is a 2 hour plane ride away.
    Soo after being a lurker for the last week you guys seem quite helpfull to others so I joined.
    I live on a 50 acre block and have been getting stranded by water every wet season for 21 years(thats how long i've wanted a hovercraft)

My names Gary and i'm 50 and retired and I hope the piccy works
    Looking forward to hearing from you peeps
    Question 1,, what are those arms running down the sides? an electric engine raises and lowers them.

Very active > 100 posts Club Member

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1969 Cushionflight 240 _back.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	6009Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1969 Cushionflight 240_front .jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	6010

Here's the info from 1968.

More than 30 posts! Club Member SachaR's Avatar

If those brushes work it would certainly save a lot of skirt repairs.

It would be good to find out more info on using brushes as a skirt. Has anyone on here ever used them or know anything about how a hover would handle with brushes?
    Last edited by Al; 27-Jan-11 at 02:35 PM.

Very active > 100 posts Club Member

I saw one of these for sale in California in 1980. The side brush skirts looked very odd and it didn't look like it would hover well. The owner didn't want to take it off the trailer.
    Dave Reyburn

I can think of one advantage of using brushes rather than a bag skirt on a cruising craft would be, not having to empty the bag of water after being afloat for a while, obviously less wear & tear on tarmac & rough ground.

I wonder about the amount of wasted air leaking through the skirt though.