Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: No F3 or Endurance Racing at 2012 Worlds

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member Winst's Avatar

Default Re: No F3 or Endurance Racing at 2012 Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by broad5186 View Post
    any F3's fancy a road trip to Saalburg this September to check out the competition and course ?

tony
    I wanted to take the F2 but unfortunately I will now be in Vegas.

Very active > 100 posts Club Member

Tony

WHF regs define Formula 2 as:

Over F3 as defined below.
    Under 600 cm3 two stroke or
    under 750 cc four stroke

and the definition of F3 is as we understand it in the UK, so F3 craft cannot enter F2. Single engine single duct craft can enter FS however, so many F3 would be eligible for this formula.

Clause 11.0 A d says "For a formula to qualify as a World Championship there must be at least 8 competitors at the final registration date. When less than 8 competitors in a formula arrive at the event it may be possible that 2 formulae are run concurrently (at the same time). This will be by agreement between the Organizers and the WHF"

With this as precedent we are hoping that the organisers might accept a combined race with one of the formulae with lower numbers such as F35 or FS, but both the organisers and WHF as a whole would need to agree to this. Please remember that UK has 2 votes out of a total of 36 in WHF, so we need to make friends and influence people if we are to have a chance of getting F3 re-incorporated.

Kevin

Extremely active > 250 posts! Club Member

Kevin i agree we need to look at all negotiable options but if it's all on deaf ears then what do we do

i don't want to be forced into FS i'd rather do F2

tony

More than 30 posts!

Quote Originally Posted by foster2958 View Post
    ....WHF regs define Formula 2 as:Over F3 ...
    Kevin,
    This is a huge grey area: The offending WHF Regulation is 12H which states :- "F3 may be removed as a World Championship formula where it is impractical to include it in the programme. This must be agreed with the WHF prior to an event programme being published."

This confirms that F3 *IS* a recognised WHF Formula, but allows any WHC organiser to delete the event if it is deemed "impractical" to run it. No definition of "impractical" is given. Providing that the exclusion is notified in advance, it has to be considered acceptable to disallow the formula, even if more F3 craft are available to compete than another formula e.g. FS, F35 or F2. I think this grossly unfair.

"This must be agreed with the WHF...." is the text which concerns me the most. Does this mean that all such proposals are put to the vote? We already see formula disparity within the European F50 and the British F503 Which are expected to race together despite the discrepancies between the two formula regulations. This formula was conceived in the UK as an Entry level formula using a "stock" engine. This has changed (for the worst in my opinion) and is now another "he who throws money at it can win" formula, albeit with some restriction.

The WHF appear to be taking hovercraft racing in the wrong direction. They are moving away from the "entry formulae" such as F3 and the original F503 which is guaranteed to reduce the number of new entrants. One of the principle reasons for the relatively large numbers of juniors we see in the UK is the fact that FJ and F3 can be "combined" within the family and costs reduced. It is evident that across Europe, we have seen very few Junior entrants over the last 10 years.

Looking at a parallel, "The British Superbike Championships", in which I have a personal interest, we see the front runners who appear on the TV replays, but in the background are the EVO class. They have less power and lower speeds, but they form the 'Entry class' which guarantee the continued success of the main attraction.

Perhaps this would be an appropriate time for the HCGB to lead the way and write to *ALL* of the affiliated clubs of the WHF and ask that they consider revising regulations, with the future of hovercraft racing in mind.
    Fanman_UK

Very active > 100 posts Family/group Member
    Comps Cttee.

Paul,

very valid points, well put.

Paul I don't disagree to any great extent with anything you've said, except to say that there is very little difference between HCGB and EHF regulations regarding F50/F503. The only difference of any substance is that EHF regs allow non-standard exhausts provided they do not boost performance. There is a difference between HCGB/EHF regulations for this formula and WHF regs which have no minimum weight restriction whereas both UK and EHF require craft and operator to have a minimum combined weight of 190kg.

Regarding the decision to omit F3, this was proposed by the German organisers and put to the vote by the WHF national delegates at a meeting earlier this year - these decisions are not made unilaterally by the organisers, all WHF nations have a say in the matter.

HCGB has a healthy national championships which is all inclusive with the widest range of formulae anywhere in the world. This allows a range of craft sharing through F3, F35 and F503 which fosters a good intake of new blood to the sport through Juniors and Novices. It is my personal opinion that the reduction of formulae at EHF events, and the lack of national championships in any of the main european countries can only lead to smaller and smaller grids at EHF events as potential newcomers are less able to participate. As the grids get smaller more races will be combined and there will be less opportunity to share craft - it is a downward spiral with only one inevitable result; the sport will die out on Continental Europe. I fervently hope that this will not come to pass, and believe that F3 should be included in the 2012 WHF event for precisely this reason, to add diversity, to increase the opportunities for participation and to help our sport to continue to grow.

Kevin

Just my 2p, but surely we should be aligned with world rules (or vice versa), especially for the 50/503/F3/FJ classes if those are the 'entry level' classes.
    I struggle to comprehend when we have a world event every 2 years why we aren't all racing to their rules during the course of our season. Surely craft and formulae would evolve, racing would improve and possibly numbers would increase if we were all playing to the same rules with one interpretation ?????
    As it stands the current euro F50 leader 'could' get an a** whooping by a super light craft built to last for 1 weekend at a worlds event, and not eligible to race at any other event ??????

Russ.

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member Jon Pert's Avatar

Been saying it for years as I've never understood how a 'World' sport can have so many different rule books! The only reason it doesn't seem to happen is that one side or the other (or to be fairer both) would have to 'change'. As we all know 'change' in the hovercraft world is frowned upon.
    Cheers

SixpackPert

"Computer games don't affect kids. If Pacman would have affected us as children, we would now run around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music"