Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Hovercraft?

Question Electric Hovercraft?

Hi all (new here so don't disregard me yet)

i'm involved in the racing of electric vehicles, and was wondering if a hovercraft could be built using an electric motor and 2 lead acid batteries. The motor i'm considering has a tourque of 2.2Nm and a relativley low speed of 1750 RPM (yes, i can gear this up but wondering about weight issues.....)
    What i want to know is this: Is it even possible? The motor and batteries alone weigh 20 Kg!

Many preemtive thanks

Rob (RK890)

Extremely active > 250 posts! Club Member

Default Re: Electric Hovercraft?

Hi Rob

i think you may be able to get a hovering board, like the ones made with 2Hp leaf blowers but as for a complete craft i think you may struggle, i think there are some craft that can just about hover and carry a person with about 12Hp, a lot of cruising craft use 5Hp lift engines just to hover

just my opinion

Tony

Extremely active > 250 posts!

Quote Originally Posted by RK890 View Post
    Hi all (new here so don't disregard me yet)

i'm involved in the racing of electric vehicles, and was wondering if a hovercraft could be built using an electric motor and 2 lead acid batteries. The motor i'm considering has a tourque of 2.2Nm and a relativley low speed of 1750 RPM (yes, i can gear this up but wondering about weight issues.....)
    What i want to know is this: Is it even possible? The motor and batteries alone weigh 20 Kg!

Many preemtive thanks

Rob (RK890)
    are you talking about a model hovercraft?
    Jon

Forum God > 400 posts

Electric hovercraft would be easy if you could plug them in!

It's about energy... a 100 amp-hour battery contains about 36kJ of energy. 1 gallon of petrol contains 134000kJ. The most efficient cruising craft will consume about 1.5 gallons per hour. To hover for one hour using batteries, you need 5583 100 Ahr batteries!

So unless you've got a ling, long mains lead you arn't going far.

HOWEVER.... if you're interest is in producing a demonstration vehicle, more of an academic exercise, then it could be done. Look for the human-powered hovercraft on the web, and take your inspiration from them.

http://steamboatwilly.org/

Ian
    Ian Brooks
    Gloucester, UK
    http://www.hoverclub.org.uk

Extremely active > 250 posts! Scrutineer
    Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brooks View Post
    Electric hovercraft would be easy if you could plug them in!

It's about energy... a 100 amp-hour battery contains about 36kJ of energy. 1 gallon of petrol contains 134000kJ. The most efficient cruising craft will consume about 1.5 gallons per hour. To hover for one hour using batteries, you need 5583 100 Ahr batteries!

So unless you've got a ling, long mains lead you arn't going far.

HOWEVER.... if you're interest is in producing a demonstration vehicle, more of an academic exercise, then it could be done. Look for the human-powered hovercraft on the web, and take your inspiration from them.

http://steamboatwilly.org/

Ian
    OR and on-board generator- it Worked for the Top Gear battery car
    I'r Gad!

Forum God > 400 posts

There was a guy over here a couple of years back who was looking into hoverising a golf-cart using the main drive motor for thrust and a 12HP lift engine modified to also generate the power for the thrust motor. I have heard nothing from him in years and I guess it fell flat.

Maybe its a bit on the impossible side with our current technology available, batteries are getting better every year and motors are getting stronger and using less power. Maybe in a few years it is a viable option, could make F2 and F503 a lot quieter. (go on boys, have a go at me, I deserve it).
    In the beginning there was the Cube; I know where is came from and it has the power to create Hover life. But with great power comes great Fun.

Very active > 100 posts Club Member

Bob Windt has been making them. Powered by 3 lead acid batteries and 36v motors. Take a look.
    Last edited by Hovertrekker; 25-Feb-10 at 12:07 PM.
    Dave Reyburn

Extremely active > 250 posts! Scrutineer
    Club Member

That's one talented dog!
    I'r Gad!