Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SUSSEX hovercrafters

More than 10 posts!

Default Re: SUSSEX hovercrafters

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    I am sorry for taking so long to get back to you all but I have been away. I am back now and in the Worthing area. I am not totally sure what I will do with them yet as I need to rebuild them firstly but will probably cruise them and/or use them in a field if I can find anywhere to do that? I'd like to join in on Thursday 6th so hope to see you then . Many thanks for all your messages cheers Steve
    Hi Steve,

I'm in Haywards Heath.

Do you have cruising craft?

Worthing is a great area for cruising, or rather, it was a great area for cruising...
    You maybe aware that your local public slip is at Goring (slightly east of the Sea Lanes Cafe). However, this area is policed by foreshore officers and by-laws dictate no powered vehicles can operate on the beach. Therefore the way around the by-law is to trolley your craft to the waters edge and then launch, but the conditions that best suit hovercraft here is low tide. Consequently that makes for an exhausting effort pulling your craft over the sand. This presumes your craft is small enough to fit under the height restriction governing access to the slip. It also defeats the advantage of being amphibious. There's nothing to prevent a high tide launch but you'll be at the mercy of the sea state...

Along the coast is Shoreham which is a great harbour to launch from, or rather, it was a great harbour to launch from... After a few years of happily launching from Shoreham the Harbour Master declined to receive harbour dues payment with an inexplicable statement that by-laws prohibit the operation of hovercraft. Note; the few of us that occasionally used Shoreham were not made aware of any complaints against us that may have caused prejudice.

To the west there's Bognor and to my delight there's no prejudice here, indeed hovercraft are most welcome. The slip is a managed site, there is a launch fee and insurance is mandatory. They prefer you hold some basic RYA qualifications (I believe they have their own RYA instructors should you require training). Your craft will need to display some sort of registration e.g. an SSR number is probably the most widely recognised. If you've all of the aforementioned in place then Bognor is a great place to cruise, you'll need to comply with the regulation to operate at least 300yds out to sea, again this is policed by foreshore officers...

I hope that this doesn't discourage you from cruising. In addition to Bognor I go all over the place nationally (and occasionally internationally) and thoroughly enjoy it...

Cheers
    Chris.

Forum God > 400 posts Family/group Member coles2196/01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by searle5077 View Post
    Hi Steve,

I'm in Haywards Heath.

Worthing is a great area for cruising, or rather, it was a great area for cruising...
    You maybe aware that your local public slip is at Goring (slightly east of the Sea Lanes Cafe). However, this area is policed by foreshore officers and by-laws dictate no powered vehicles can operate on the beach. Therefore the way around the by-law is to trolley your craft to the waters edge and then launch, but the conditions that best suit hovercraft here is low tide. Consequently that makes for an exhausting effort pulling your craft over the sand. This presumes your craft is small enough to fit under the height restriction governing access to the slip. It also defeats the advantage of being amphibious. There's nothing to prevent a high tide launch but you'll be at the mercy of the sea state...

Along the coast is Shoreham which is a great harbour to launch from, or rather, it was a great harbour to launch from... After a few years of happily launching from Shoreham the Harbour Master declined to receive harbour dues payment with an inexplicable statement that by-laws prohibit the operation of hovercraft. Note; the few of us that occasionally used Shoreham were not made aware of any complaints against us that may have caused prejudice.

To the west there's Bognor and to my delight there's no prejudice here, indeed hovercraft are most welcome. The slip is a managed site, there is a launch fee and insurance is mandatory. They prefer you hold some basic RYA qualifications (I believe they have their own RYA instructors should you require training). Your craft will need to display some sort of registration e.g. an SSR number is probably the most widely recognised. If you've all of the aforementioned in place then Bognor is a great place to cruise, you'll need to comply with the regulation to operate at least 300yds out to sea, again this is policed by foreshore officers...

I hope that this doesn't discourage you from cruising. In addition to Bognor I go all over the place nationally (and occasionally internationally) and thoroughly enjoy it...

Cheers
    Chris.
    Chris - come to the Twig meetings if you can (the next one is Firework Night for 5 per head - children welcome) and you can have a longer chat!!!
    Growing old is compulsory -
    Growing up is optional!

More than 10 posts!

Quote Originally Posted by coles2196/01 View Post
    Chris - come to the Twig meetings if you can (the next one is Firework Night for 5 per head - children welcome) and you can have a longer chat!!!
    Hi Gill/Bob and a quick hello to all fellow twiggers. I'll be there with kids and sparklers.
    Cheers
    Chris

Less than 10 posts so far!

Hi Chris - thanks for the info -- like to chat more...hoprefully will if we both can get to the firework night ...many thanks again Steve

Quote Originally Posted by searle5077 View Post
    Hi Steve,

I'm in Haywards Heath.

Cheers
    Chris.