Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drag-strip Hovercraft

Very active > 100 posts Club Member

Default Drag-strip Hovercraft

Back in late 2002 a small number of intrepid members took hovercraft up the 1/4 mile drag strip at the Shakespeare Raceway near Stratford upon Avon. The dragstrip owners still talk about it now - we were next to them at the Motorsports UK show last month. Has anyone got any pictures of this please? They would like to see any pictures that might be around and would love to put something in their archive. There was something in the magazine at the time but there is a gap in our archive for the relevant period, so can anyone help please?

I'm talking to the raceway owners at the moment about a possible event there, possibly a race meeting, but it could easily be a drag event, hoverin or something else - they are very keen to be involved with us in some way - any ideas?

Kevin

More than 30 posts! Club Member

Default Re: Drag-strip Hovercraft

I think the Scrimshaws were involved.

Jim Lyne

Very active > 100 posts Council
    Club Member

Weren't John & Jamie there?

Extremely active > 250 posts! Club Member

as far as i remember there was a magazine article with pics, it was Jamie and Jon Spedding

More than 10 posts! Scrutineer
    Club Member

Yes it was me ( Jon ) Jamie , Anne and some one else i think . between 2002 and 2004 possible . Anne would no she sorted the event . Dad should be able to find the artical he has every mag . i remember i pissed a scoody driver off when i beat him . Cracking day out .

Very active > 100 posts Club Member

If there are any members in the Stratford upon Avon area who fancy the challenge of organising an event at Long Marston Airfield (where the dragstrip is located) please get in touch with me and I'll pass on all the information I've got so far. I'm too far away to be able to take anything through to completion and don't want this very positive approach from the site owners to be wasted. They are a very likeable bunch that we got on very well with at the Motorsports Show, with a very similar approach to us. They loved the idea of a Whacky Races weekend with a number of fringe (or at least less mainstream) motorports on show to bring the customers in. Who is up for it?

Kevin

More than 30 posts! Club Member

Kevin

Pass info to me as I am only a spit away.

Jim Lyne

More than 10 posts! Club Member les bran's Avatar

hi kevin i can deal with this as well. there very close to me.raced the old vw beetles there. 01295 711200 .