Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almost OT. Motorhome.

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member

Default Almost OT. Motorhome.

Sorry to ask this here, but a fair amount of you own campers and I need some advice please.

All going well I will be buying my first motorhome this weekend and the problem with this is I know nothing about running them....

Is there a good book that I can buy some place on the subject? I bought a Haynes manual some time back about how to build them, which is why I decided to buy one instead!

I also do not think there is a generator with the van so could some one please advise me as to what to buy, i.e. wattage, quietness and usefulness for other things in the workshop....

Thanks all,

B.

Default Re: Almost OT. Motorhome.

Good luck with your choice.
    This is not an area of my expertise but common sense dictates a quiet generator doesnt upset others.

Damp ingress is one point that I know you should check. If the camper has leaked, the walls/floor can be spongy and structurally unsafe.

When you have bought one, a de-humidifier left running when the camper is stored will help reduce mould and mildew build up when you are not using it.

Chris
    Last edited by daly5546; 9-Dec-11 at 11:23 PM.
    Chris and the boys

Thanks for that Chris, it would seem that no one else owns either a camper of a generator so no good advice to be had here....

The motorhome I was planning on buying last weekend fell through, or rather I stopped it when I found out the Autosleeper advertised is in fact a home conversion! Not good that.

Here.

I have contacted the dealer about it but he says he was unaware of the fact....

B.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian G. Reynolds View Post
    Thanks for that Chris, it would seem that no one else owns either a camper of a generator so no good advice to be had here....

The motorhome I was planning on buying last weekend fell through, or rather I stopped it when I found out the Autosleeper advertised is in fact a home conversion! Not good that.

Here.

I have contacted the dealer about it but he says he was unaware of the fact....

B.
    You must have too much money Brian

That will be the day....

It was my 25 year endowment that matured! and I have no intention of letting the robbing banks get that!

They were going to give me 6K for my transporter and I originally offered 10K.....

We haggled for about 6 months but try as I did, I could not find the same version anywhere.... then I worked out it is a home built.... a very nice home built I must say, but not as advertised!

Time to move on...

B.

Extremely active > 250 posts! Scrutineer
    Club Member

Brian- not enough infor to comment on generator- we use a 2.2 KVA sine wave one, but if you only want to recharge batteries you'll need nothing like. If you want to weld, you'll need about 5KVA to cope with the surge
    I'r Gad!

Thanks Ewan Sir, that is what I was after on the generator front.

Be good,

B.

Extremely active > 250 posts! Club Member

Brian,

your budget will dictate what sort of camper van you go for.
    at one end a van derivative will be sluggish small compact intimate and if older and well used will need much maintenence. maybe 14 to 20 mpg?
    a little nail can be had for 2k - but it will be trouble.
    at the other end I bought an American RV - 33ft long /slide outs / big diesel pusher unit / loads of space comfort nice big loo and shower. second hand with 22k miles i got if for 31k. I get 12 to 14 mpg and just love our full size duoble bed.

you cannot buy a half decent new one for that money.

some members have big European new or nearly new units which cost between 45 and 80k

id go for low milage and big engine - you will be itritated by going up hill on motorways at 45mph otherwise.