+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Latest Fan Technology ideas

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member

Default Latest Fan Technology ideas

I'm currently at an international conference on Fan Technology in France. I'm sitting through hours of presentations (and complicated CFD mathmatics) trying to glean new ideas relevant to our sport from the 250 academics and industry researchers here. Several useful ideas have come up like potential solutions to the loss of thrust when the craft is travelling sideways, better rudders, new techniques for visualising airflows and eddies, methods to measure noise and a number of noise reduction ideas. As usual some of the most useful stuff comes from the coffee break discussions rather than the published papers. One of the conclusions of the conference is there's unlikely to be a major breakthrough in the next few years of a radical new fan technology which is dramatically more efficient, or very significantly quieter. The improvements are likely to come in the way fans are operated and installed.

I'll be be publishing some of these snippets for members to kick about in a series of posts in the Builders Corner area over the next few days.

Keith

Very active > 100 posts Recreational Cttee.
    Club Member

Default Re: Latest Fan Technology ideas

Nice one Keith, keep the updates coming. As u know this is of great interest to me at the moment!

Pick up some nice cheese and wine for our next session!

More than 30 posts! Club Member

Hi Keith, would be interested to know if anyone has heard about DFDC (Ducted fan design code) by Mark Drela. http://web.mit.edu/drela/Public/web/dfdc/ Its an open source program ive been playing with and I think it could be of real use for us hovercrafters. People i know have been using it with some success are the guys with ducted fan propelled UAVs if you meet any of them there.

Cheers, Pete

Thanks Pete - I'll look with interest. I've managed to post the first snippet and you'll see its from a UAV developer. Sorry about the poor quality of the pic - the website doesn't seem to let me upload anything better at present.
    Keith

Website issues sorted so the first 2 snippets are now available in Builders corner with viewable pics! More to come
    Keith

+ Reply to Thread