Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MOT type tests for trailers and caravans

Forum God > 400 posts Family/group Member coles2196/01's Avatar

Default Re: MOT type tests for trailers and caravans

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Lovell View Post
    So would this mean us having to actually check the trailer beyond just seeing in the mirrors its still following us?

What n spoil all the fun of the lottery of whether it gets us there and back?

The other prob will be loading of trailers, Max permisable weight. Most hovercraft trailers do not have a makers plate with loading figures.

Then we will have the law checking if we have Cat E on our liscence to tow braked trailers.

Its never ending bureaucracy!!!!

Fact: -The law on the continent regarding minibuses is that you need a full PSV to drive one.
    1000ish cost of course and test.

As a teenager in my class once said "its so unfair"

Keith @ a place of education
    What! I presume that was you!!! Because if not, then you have an incredibly unique lot of teenagers!!!
    Growing old is compulsory -
    Growing up is optional!

More than 30 posts! Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Kev View Post
    A friend on mine his wife works for the department of transport and they are in the process of thrashing out the details of MOT type testing for trailers and caravans, don't know when its coming in, but it is!
    Well there was overwhelming response to the online petition earlier this year:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/216

Very active > 100 posts Club Member

It's not all bad..... Yes it will cost money which is bad, very bad. But I have seen some appalling towing practices in the past.

There are a lot of bodged up crap trailers, overloaded or badly loaded trailers and vehicles which are clearly pulling too much weight. How many of us actually know the permissible towing weight for the vehicle they tow with? Not that many I would guess.

So, whilst I am very much against more annoying expensive tests and legislation, it will have the advantage of reducing the number of potential death inducing trailer disasters.

Nick