Thread: Swale/Medway Cruise Video

Very active > 100 posts Club Member

Default Swale/Medway Cruise Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DYblMXraNs&feature=plcp

Fantastic afternoon cruising the good old Medway yesterday. Nine craft came along, John & Rachel Gifford, Paul Sparrow, Chris Searle, Dave Sax, Paul Hayes, Gavin Parson, Keith Oakley and myself. So a fairly mixed bag (though fortunately no bag skirts!) comprising a Vortex, Firefly, ther two Gifford craft (do they have names...??? 'Baby Griffons???') Keith's 'Ssssh' craft and four Marlin II's.

It was first time out for Paul Hayes and Dave Sax in their new Marlins so we didn't try anything too ambitous given that it was a very breezy day, blowing a South Westerly 4/5 all afternoon and gradually increasing to a 5/6 by the time we returned. Paul had a few problems with the carb on his craft so was late gettign away and spent the afternoon unsuccessfully lookign for us, but said he'd had a great time, though he had no idea where he'd been!

We launched from the Long Reach ski club in the Swale (the stretch of water between the Isle of Sheppey and the mainland) and from there, its just a short run up to the Medway. All seemed okay, in fact we expected it to be much rougher, so we ducked round the back of Deadmans Island - introducing Rachel to gully hopping en route - and hugged the south bank in the lee of the islands until we punched across the tide to the north bank for a run up to the Berry Wiggins pier and our favourite haunt, Stoke Marshes. A brief stop at the submarine and we decided it was wise to start heading back - as soon as the tide turned it would have been a world of pain with wind over tide on the way home. It was a clear run back to the Swale and we put everything away working, covered in mud but grinning! Yet again, we proved that good cruisers can really achieve some remarkable results, a little 3.5m boat wouldn;t have been much fun in the Medway chop and certainly no more competent than our hovercraft.

Just to remind you all, we've put the following dates into the diary and there will be something going on that day - unless the weather is completely prohibitive (ie dangerous) we'll aim to be doing a cruise. Saturday was a good example, Force 4-6 winds aren;t ideal and we could have decided to cancel the cruise - but we didn;t so 9 craft got a great day out. Sometimes you have to throw the dice to get most use from your craft.

All the events I've put in are aimed at being one day events on a saturday. If you're traveling any distance and want to stay for the Sunday, it's entirely up to you. Depending on interest/location/cruise times we could lay on a bbq for our return.

What I'd like to do is to have an email list of all those who may wish to come along on one or all of the cruises. I'll keep you updated with developments once I have your details so drop me a line to russ( at ) flyingfishhovercraft.co.uk

These aren't the only dates we'll be cruising this year but it's a good start. If the weather looks atrocious, we'll consider moving it to sunday, or back to the week after if that looks any better so provisionally book those into your diary too!

These dates take no account of tide times - its simply not practical to do that but we'll launch/return to make the best of it.

So! Remember to put these dates into your diary!

Saturday August 18th - probably River Blackwater/Steeple Bay.
    Weekend of 25/27 August - Cruise event to piggy back Gang Warily. Details to follow.
    Saturday 8th September
    Saturday October 6th

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member

Default Re: Swale/Medway Cruise Video

looked like everyone had fun

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member Jon Pert's Avatar

Video added to the Video Lounge (where it's meant to go for future reference). I didn't move the whole thread as Russ may throw some toys out again!

Cheers

SixpackPert

"Computer games don't affect kids. If Pacman would have affected us as children, we would now run around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music"

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member

Good idea Jon. I think its useful to have a reference to the video in both places - both in the public General Forum for current info on whats going on for all and sundry and in the video lounge where the video collection can be perused all together to while away those long dark hover less winter days. I guess I've been remiss. I've only posted links to the hundreds of hours of racing replays on the General Forum without so far placing a link in the Video Lounge. I'll sort sometime.

PS it was fun Al, so was cleaning all the mud off

Keith

Very active > 100 posts Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Oakley View Post
    PS it was fun Al, so was cleaning all the mud off

Keith
    And there was much work to be done!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	keith.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	28.0 KB