Thread: Old Craft photos

Less than 10 posts so far!

Default Old Craft photos

Hi all

I am looking for pictures and infomation on hovercraft from the period 1970 to 1980. I am interested in small craft ie. single or 2 man craft. Particulary interested in craft with twin thrust ducts.

Can anyone assist or suggest where to look.

Many thanks.

Rich

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member

Default Re: Old Craft photos

If you join the club you will have online access to our archive of club magazines going back to 1970 which includes many b&w pics of hovercraft of the day plus articles. However the early mags have been electronically scanned so picture quality isn't great. The Hovercraft museum may have a collection. Many of us older folk have pics going back that far but if mine are any example they're lost in the loft somewhere. Having built three twin ducted craft over the years I'm curious as to why you're interested in that genre?
    Keith

Less than 10 posts so far!

Hi Keith

I am building a series of military vehicles that the special forces may have made in the period 1970 to 1980. I call them what if vehicles because they are based on vehicles of that era converted to fullfill a specific role. These are for display at shows and rallies.

The first vehicle is a 6 wheel range rover done up as a helicopter surport vehicle used for refueling and re arming a helicopter near or beyond the front lines in a war situation.

The second vehicle is a beach buggy done up as a fast reconisance vehicle which would provide information on the enemy to the surport vehicle.

One of the main problems found by all armies fighting in europe was the number and size of rivers in europe. So I thought that perhaps vehicle number 3 might be a hovercraft used where the buggy could not go.

Why a twin fan, because I think they look good and you dont see any about these days but in the time period I am working they where about.

Hope this explains the request for info.

Regards

Rich

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member

Twin thrust fans were common up until the early 80's either because the craft used two seperate small thrust engines, where variable throttle settings could aid steering (like a tank), or because larger plastic fans weren't very available a craft with a more powerful thrust engine (typically over 40bhp) would use 2 fans to absorb the load. The unreliability of lots of small engines of the period and the availability of larger fans meant the genre went out of fashion. These days with more reliable engines and larger fans a twin fan craft becomes feasible again but with larger fans side by side theres an issue keeping it narrow enough to tow behind a private car.
    Good luck with your project
    Keith