Thread: ATTENTION: Parents/Responsible Adults

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    More than 10 posts! Club Member

Default ATTENTION: Parents/Responsible Adults

I am a mature engineer from the motor industry having worked for Lotus as a senior designer and having designed and built my own car. I have been fascinated by the technicalities of hovercraft over the years and I nearly got involved in the early 90's but a sponsor fell through.

As the proof of the pudding is in the doing, not the dreaming, I have designed an F3 craft. I am too old to drive, so I need a pilot and it struck me that there was no point in my actually building it if no one were interested in driving it! As the future of the world lies with the young, I thought it would be nice if a hungry, competitive Junior drove it. (Possibly a Novice if, as the regulations require, you think they are up to it). Obviously an adult could drive.

So if you are genuinely interested, very interested and not just intrigued, I would be happy to drive over and show you my ideas in detail (unless you live in the Faroe Islands, in which case, we'll meet half way!!)

More than 30 posts! Club Member

Default Re: ATTENTION: Parents/Responsible Adults

Hi Supastar
    The term 'Responsible Adult' and hovercraft racing aren't often mentioned in the same sentence (unless one is needed to authorise online purchases).

I think you would get more responses if you were able to publish some pics of the vessel in question, and provide some idea as to your location.

We do have pre-season social meetings (Hover-Ins) which are used to get the blood flowing and give pilots a chance to experience other craft. You might bring along your craft, and I'm sure you'll get a volunteer to test it. Also pop along to your local branch meeting, which will give an opportunity to chew the fat and get members more directly involved in getting your craft off the ground.

PM me if you want more info.

Cheers
    Kevin T

More than 30 posts! Family/group Member

Hi superstar

My name is jonathan stevens and i have been racing for 2 years now, over this time i have come in the top 6 in both seasons and have claimed 7th in the world, my dad is currently designing new crafts himself and i am sure we can understand what you need. I will check whit him first but would like to help you if i can.
    Jonathan Stevens
    Racing 110 for lightSracing

Extremely active > 250 posts! Club Member

hi superstar.
    you might just be a spoof but here goes anyway;-

how come you think you are too old for this game?

we had a very good driver called Barry who was very competitive in F3. he was past retirement, 73 if I am correct before he went to meet his maker.

and there are a few more of us old codgers at it in various formulas. maybe not at the front of the grid but certainly at Position number 1 for enjoying life.
    I cannot tell you the thrill you get falling out of an F1 craft and hurting yourself - actually never got thrown out last season!

I have 2 new hips and will be racing all this season -the good lord permitting.

come along to a meeting and you can help me along to walk round the pits on my Zimmer frame!

Extremely active > 250 posts! Club Member

post script;-

we nearly got a sponsor once for our team- until they laughed at the potential advertisement for their products!

you'd be very lucky to get anything sponsored in this "sport"

its just for fun.

More than 10 posts! Club Member

Hi

Thank you for your responses.

What excites me is the design process. I also worked in world motorsport and when you see how the stars drive cars, I realised how pitiful my driving abilities were and yet everyone thinks they are a brilliant driver. So, yes, I could take part but I'd rather see the potential of the design realised by a hot shot driver. My hand is better doing calculations than residing in a splint!

I can see that sponsorship is not on, I just want to co-operate with someone interested in winning.

As regards your Zimmer frame, we might look into putting wheels on it with a small electric drive to further increase your quality of life.