Thread: Sorry - no south east race meeting in 2014….

Very active > 100 posts Club Member

Default Sorry - no south east race meeting in 2014….

I'm very disappointed to have to announce there will be no Hop Farm race meeting this year. Benn Bristow and myself have been working hard on negotiations and it seems no matter which way we turn, the clubs 'policy' is preventing us from going ahead.

To be clear, I'm writing this as me, Russ Pullen, not me - 'Chairman SE Branch.' I think it's important that the membership is made aware of this situation as I'd like to ask people to consider this situation in time for the AGM, to which I've submitted 5 proposals which I hope will allow us to run an event in 2015 - unfortunately, by then it will be too late for this year.

The fact is that each race meeting effectively takes 3 dates - as (Policy One) Meetings cannot run on consecutive weekends and that (Policy Two) August dates not available for race meetings (even though the World Championships were in the diary….) Under existing rules, being three weeks apart, between them Magnolls and Hacketts Lake 'lock out' six weekends.

Between (and including) Magnolls and Towcester, there are 21 weekends and 9 meetings including Europeans and joint UK/European meetings. We're not allowed to use August (apart from Fawley) so that people can go on holiday - and that leaves just one weekend during the whole year which is 'acceptable' to the club, and the hop Farm already has an event booked.

After lots of negotiations with the Hop Farm - (who it should be said, have been helpful, accommodating and enthusiastic) the only possible date which was a possibility (based on policies one and two) and doesn’t clash with events they already have, was June 21st/22nd. As it is not a 'provisional date', yesterday we asked the Competitions Committee to allow us to use this date but we've received a point blank refusal in case somebody's booked a holiday.

So just to be reiterate that - there is only ONE weekend - July 5/6th available for a race meeting this year. All these policies/rules have combined to stop us laying an event on, for no substantive reason.
    So that's that then. I've been hunting high and low across Surrey and Kent for a venue for 5 months. Every lake is a reservoir, stately home, privately owned or full of fishermen, and/or not interested in our comparatively pitiful funding. I really thought I'd cracked it and this has really taken the wind out of my sails as it just doesn’t reflect the statement from the Competitions Committee that it 'supports a new site.' We have a short season from May-September, and with so many restrictions (no consecutive meetings, august dates or 'unpublished' dates) how on earth is a new branch ever going to find a venue and get lucky on the one-and-only date? The SE branch reformed in 2013, now has over a dozen active, craft-owning cruisers and a half dozen active racers yet there's absolutely no chance of us being able to run a meeting in 2014.

Just for the record - the Hop Farm was a bargain - £1500 for the weekend, plus 30% of the gate. It had the potential to bring in loads of money on the gate as it’s a high profile venue in an affluent area close to London, they were even willing to let us dig water splashes and leave them there year on year.

It's embarrassing and disappointing - I'm mortified that after all this I've had to tell them that we can’t go ahead. It makes us really amateurish. It means that I (and presumably the 20+ members of the SE Branch who were behind this) will just go back to being net 'takers' and not face the disappointment of trying to contribute to the club. I'll pay my 100 quid and come racing, but that’s all I guess.

We may well try and run a non championship competitive event/hover-in/fun day at the Hop Farm if we can renegotiate the terms to something we can finance. But now we look like fools and without the national series behind it, we may have well lost the goodwill of what could have been a profitable and enjoyable venue. At a time when the club's losing money (and there's been no SE race meeting for a decade) it honestly didn’t occur to me that the committee that administers the race series would be so intransigent.

Russ Pullen.

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member Winst's Avatar

Default Re: Sorry - no south east race meeting in 2014….

Apparently there is a big debate going on about this elsewhere????
    Is there any point in having this web site for discussing these matters!!!

More than 30 posts! Family/group Member

Agreeing with winst. Where are these debates happening and why are they not on here?
    Jonathan Stevens
    Racing 110 for lightSracing

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member Winst's Avatar

Facetube.com

i agree entirely - but faceache seems to have finished this forum....

More than 30 posts! Scrutineer
    Club Member

This forum died when the notification system stopped working about a year ago. Despite informing the forum administrator nothing has been done about it yet.

So many people use Facebook now it was inevitable.
    Glad to see an individual had the foresight to set up something for the members to communicate easily through.
    Last edited by Mr No Limits; 9-Feb-14 at 04:04 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
    Conrad Beale

We have the exact same problem with the Hoverclub of America forum. Facebook has taken over. So don't beat yourself up! Still I imagine once racing season starts up the forum will get lively again.
    Dave Reyburn