Thread: Celebrating our half century

More than 30 posts!

Default Celebrating our half century

The Hovercraft Club of Gt Britain was formed in 1966 so we have started thinking about how to celebrate our 50th anniversary in 2016. We are looking at a 10 -14 day festival of hovercraft, celebrating all the different things we have done over the years. We think it should embrace all members of the hovercraft community Ė racers and cruisers, other members of their families and supporters, schools and youth organizations and commercial hovercraft too. We would like to invite other enthusiasts from around the world to join us in the celebrations.

We are considering a series of cruises and other events in the fortnight leading up to a 5 day World Championship. To fit with school holidays in UK, US and Europe it should be in the last two weeks of July with the World Championships on 27- 31 July 2016. The Olympics in Rio start on August 5th

We are looking at a number of sites that could host a Worlds, and other events, with good cruising areas nearby. A leading contender at present is the Hop Farm, Paddock Wood in Kent. Itís just 35 miles from central London with all its tourist attractions for the family, and close to the established cruising grounds of the Lower Medway and Swale and the Thames in central London, where we frequently hovered in the 1970ís. To open the Worlds itís been suggested we could have a baton relay by hovercraft from Central London down the Thames to Sheerness then turn left up the Medway direct to the Paddock Wood site - a 75 mile run with all but 13 miles of it over tidal river and mud. The baton would be a Ďholy relicí of our history - a replica of Cockerellís original 1955 Nescafe tin experiment which is currently in the Science Museum in London. Fittingly itís homemade and the progenitor of our whole sport.

Discussions are underway with the Hop Farm and other sites are being researched. A key issue is to have a UK National at the chosen site in 2015 as a warm up. This idea is in itís infancy and there are many hurdles to overcome including making a successful bid to the World Hovercraft Federation but we have a track record of running successful World Championships, most recently at Towcester in 2010 and Weston Park in 2000.

We invite members to join in a discussion on the idea Ė does it make sense? What would you include in a celebration of our history etc? We've already had pleas for the return of the two up race, Le Mans starts, cadet obstacle courses, historic craft flyby etc and there is potential to broaden the Endurance Races. What would you like to see? Would you prefer to see a Worlds elsewhere in 2015 and have the 2016 Festival not feature a World Championship? Please feedback on this Forum rather than on Facebook because not all members use Facebook.

Itís an ambitious concept that will take a lot of effort from a large number of members, and others, to make it happen. Good communications will be key. It can't be left to a small few, but we do have over two years to develop the idea, get partners on board and test each of the components individually so nothing comes new and untried on the day. If you have ideas on how it can be organized, funded etc, or are keen to help please contact us on the Forum or directly by email to Chris Daly.
    Roger Morton
    roger@rhm.name

More than 30 posts! Club Member

Cool Re: Celebrating our half century

Hi All

I think the concept of a 2016 celebration of hovercraft is a fantastic idea. The liklyhood of a successful World Championship in 2015 must be fairly remote as we know from experience that its does take several years in the planning to make it work.

For overseas drivers to commit to travelling vast distances needs time and a lot of planning, logistically and financial.

Lets take the Bull by the horns and commit to a date in late July 2016, start looking for a suitable site and sponsorship. Many events start their planning years in advance, often just to book the dates in people's busy schedules.
    Would it be worth thinking about being close to the Hovercraft Museum and I am sure a visit to Griffon Hoverwork would be great.

I think, if we do find that the Club are behind the idea, then we should approach WHF with some target dates very soon, tell them the site will be somewhere in southern England (To be decided) and give some ideas what we plan to do.

If we get a yes from them, start to form the Committees. a) main steering; b)Racing; c) entertainment; d) sponsorship etc.

Put my name down to help.

Jim Lyne

More than 30 posts! Club Member

Default Re: Celebrating our half century

Hello,

I know its a bit of a strange/lame idea for an event at the 50th anniversary but how about a drag race?
    Everybody and their craft off the mark, line-a-breast.

Every craft has different characteristics from a standing start and this would be a good opportunity to show that. In a grid formation start their is a lot of jostling for position and the pole sitter has a great advantage, whereas with a drag race everybody can just open the taps and I think that would make a good spectacle.

More than 30 posts! Family/group Member

Thumbs up Re: Celebrating our half century

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Hello,

I know its a bit of a strange/lame idea for an event at the 50th anniversary but how about a drag race?
    Everybody and their craft off the mark, line-a-breast.

Every craft has different characteristics from a standing start and this would be a good opportunity to show that. In a grid formation start their is a lot of jostling for position and the pole sitter has a great advantage, whereas with a drag race everybody can just open the taps and I think that would make a good spectacle.
    I like this idea, the advantages of seeing where you are losing time off the start line would be beneficial and fun for all our racers. People in the formulas F50 and junior (where the power is the same) can prove they are the fastest of the line or learn how to do the best start. In other formulas it would be proving that your craft is fastest in a straight line.

Because the 2014 worlds was canceled I would not qualify for the juniors, this means that I would find a large event better because i may not be racing in the worlds(likely to be in F2 or F50 with low chance of winning), and standardly this would leave me on the side just keeping the crafts working. Also it would be nice if we could connect the nationals in some way, sort of like what we had at big lake, and being in the holidays people could come for the nationals then head home for 2 week (if they need to fix anything) then return for the worlds (assuming that the is a 11 day festival before the 5 day worlds and nationals being at the start of the festival).

I also would like to suggest specialized products to be designed and sold for this event.
    Jonathan Stevens
    Racing 110 for lightSracing

Newbie Club Member

Default Re: Celebrating our half century

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathanstevens View Post

I also would like to suggest specialized products to be designed and sold for this event.
    I have already started thinking about this and in the closed forum have asked if anyone has a collection of the former club logos.

We also need a design for a commemorative 'badge' to go various forms of merchandise in order to create more income for the upcoming event.