Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Start Grid

More than 10 posts! Club Member

Default Start Grid

I can't seem to find the detail reg but must a craft be able to start on the grid under its own power. Or can it be assisted. If it is designed to start under its own power but fails to, can it then be assisted.

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member

Default Re: Start Grid

Do you mean 'do I have to carry a starter battery on board' ? ie take a portable power pack out to the grid to start the craft with jump leads? I'm sure I've seen that many a time so I imagine theres no rule against it. - But I'm sure someone will point us to a rule if there is.

Keith

Yes, Keith. That's exactly what I mean. Thank you.

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member

Under normal operating conditions this method has been used several times when an engine fails to start with just the craft battery.

Do not forget that initial scrutineering requires that the driver re-start the craft after a five minute float test and it make its way back to land.

Chris
    Chris and the boys

More than 30 posts! Club Member

Another thing to consider if you can not start the engine without a starter battery is if you fall out the hovercraft or the race is stopped you will have no way of restarting the engine and will have to be recovered.

Very active > 100 posts Club Member

I guess one leaves the battery out to save weight. The gamble is NOT being able to restart. What if used a lighter super capacitor array?

Wouter
    aka Hoverholic

I have considered running as total loss ignition system. This would save the weight of the rotor, stator and aluminium rectifier. I would use a small lithium ion motorbike battery with a CCA of 105. The big racing bikes last for a couple of hours like this and I need 10 minutes. What is a super capacitor array?

I have considered running as total loss ignition system. This would save the weight of the rotor, stator and aluminium rectifier. I would use a small lithium ion motorbike battery with a CCA of 105. The big racing bikes last for a couple of hours like this and I need 10 minutes. What is a super capacitor array?