Thread: Whats in a name

More than 30 posts! Club Member

Default Whats in a name

Hey up,

Quite a bit it seems.
    So there I am working on the craft out side the workshop.
    First up, this taxi pulls over and parks in the gutter.
    I look up after having heard the engine cut out, see its a taxi and guess that he'll be moving along shortly, carry on rubbing down the fibre glass.
    Next thing I know, there is some short dumpy bloke with old school tattoos of a woman and some birds on his right arm asking me if I know some geezer called Blueitt Bluit Bluette however its spelt.
    Apparently this man used to race hovercraft in a field in Farlington about 30 years ago.
    Has anyone on here heard of somebody in the scene with a name like that local to Portsmouth?
    This time I was reduced to saying that I don't know anybody local who does owt with Hovercraft.
    Which is a shame as I've recently lost one of my drinking partners.

About an hour later a man called "State, as in hell-of-a, but spelt different" crossed the road to talk to me, this character was wearing a flat cap, a black (possibly) berghause jacket and jeans, looked frozen.
    Asked if I knew some chancer called Kevin Foster!
    Of course! Says I, "met him in person and talked extensively, top man."
    Flatcap: "Oh right, I was his best man."
    Me: "Really? Oh wow."
    Flatcap: "Went to school with him, whats it called, was called Northern Grammar then, its just down the road here."
    Me: "Oh Mayfield."
    Flatcap: "Yes."
    Me: "So whats the crack then?"
    Flatcap: "He's always been bang into them, got his kids into it as well"
    Me: "Kids? I've met his Daughter, thought she was the only one."
    Flatcap: No, he's got 4 I think."
    Me: "Crickey"
    Flatcap: "He's from a group of a bout 6 him self."
    Me: "Right."
    Flatcap: "His wife used to sew up his skirt of a winter evening, which is a sentence you don't hear too often."
    Me: "I bet."
    Flatcap: "Anyway, cheerio"
    Me: "See ya, take care."

This man has got to be the first person ever who didn't say: "Thats awesome, what is it?"

So; anybody on here know anything?

Cheers

Very active > 100 posts Club Member

Default Re: Whats in a name

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post

Next thing I know, there is some short dumpy bloke with old school tattoos of a woman and some birds on his right arm asking me if I know some geezer called Blueitt Bluit Bluette however its spelt.
    Apparently this man used to race hovercraft in a field in Farlington about 30 years ago.
    Has anyone on here heard of somebody in the scene with a name like that local to Portsmouth?
    This time I was reduced to saying that I don't know anybody local who does owt with Hovercraft.
    Which is a shame as I've recently lost one of my drinking partners.
    Hi Aaron - I think he was referring to Alan Bliault, have a look at http://www.zoominfo.com/p/Alan-Bliault/465588662 for more details about Alan and his involvement in the early days of hovercraft.

Very active > 100 posts Club Member

Hi Aaron

So you met my mate, John Stait - like he said we went to school together almost 40 years ago! I was a Pompey lad born & bred. He used to come to race meetings with us when I first started in the Club. He was there at my first race meeting and faithfully recorded over 4 frames me and my craft sinking without trace. How he managed to do it with tears running down his face as he pi**ed himself laughing and kept the camera in focus I will never know. He's never let me forget it.

Where abouts in Portsmouth is the workshop as he lives in North End?

Good to hear the craft is coming along, hope to see you again soon.

Kevin

More than 30 posts! Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by foster2958 View Post
    Hi Aaron

So you met my mate, John Stait - like he said we went to school together almost 40 years ago! I was a Pompey lad born & bred. He used to come to race meetings with us when I first started in the Club. He was there at my first race meeting and faithfully recorded over 4 frames me and my craft sinking without trace. How he managed to do it with tears running down his face as he pi**ed himself laughing and kept the camera in focus I will never know. He's never let me forget it.

Where abouts in Portsmouth is the workshop as he lives in North End?

Good to hear the craft is coming along, hope to see you again soon.

Kevin
    PM sent