Thread: Quiet Hovercraft Project

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forum God > 400 posts Club Member

Default Re: Quiet Hovercraft Project

The march 2017 special cruising edition of the HCGB’s Light Hovercraft magazine features a lengthy technical report on the history of the Quiet Hovercraft Project and the noise analysis techniques we’ve used to get to grips with the noise challenge.

Back in 2015 when I started this thread I announced we had achieved one craft (Q1 – the Quiet One) that achieved noise levels that met the EU Directive standard for Recreational Boats but we were struggling at that time to get a second craft down to the same noise level. After 2 years more work we’ve finally cracked that problem and indeed a third craft, built using the same key low noise principles but to different design by John Gifford, has now also got down to the same level.

Now that the experiment has been repeated twice more with the same successful results we’re beginning to feel we are starting to understand the detailed ‘checklist’ for a Quiet Hovercraft. Development work is continuing with both prototype craft so we can refine some aspects of the checklist. Hopefully the final checklist will be published in a future edition of the magazine.

I’ll be happy to try to answer here any noise related questions from members.
    Last edited by Keith Oakley; 4-Mar-17 at 08:47 PM.