Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: arctic cat 440 any good !

More than 10 posts! Club Member

Wink arctic cat 440 any good !

Hi
    Has anyone played with or used these in f2, a certain model of these produce 105bhp standard, just looking for a thumbs up or do not touch

Very active > 100 posts Scrutineer
    Club Member

Default Re: arctic cat 440 any good !

I'm not aware of anyone who has used them in the UK, maybe in Europe? the early Artic cat 440s were conventional layout but big chunky engines, the later more powerful SnoPro 440s had an odd arangment where engine was laid on its back and the the exhaust came out from the same side as the reed valves and sat over the top of the carbs. Not a lot in it powerwise as the Rotax and Polaris engines from the same era all produced around 105 BHP for the sled racing. All of the experience is with the MXZ440 or Prox440 and a lot of that is that the highly tuned 100+ BHP 440 need spacers in the exhaust to detune the engine and get some mid range, peak power isn't always everything in hovercraft racing. On the otherhand polaris and Rotax 440s are getting hard to find so if you can get the Artic Cat to work (and there is no reason why not) you may open up a new option in F2.
    Regards
    Dan

Hi dan,
    Yes you are correct that the exhaust comes out above the carbs, Im guessing to help warm the carbs in Arctic condition, whether that causes any issues in running in the UK is yet to be seen, the model I have been looking at is about the same weight and dimension as the rotax and produces about the same, I have run the software on making the tuned exhausts for this motor and that shows there enough length to go straight over the carbs and down the side of the hull without altering back pressure, might make quick repairs a problem if exhausts are hot!
    Trouble is, it sounds too good to be true, a brand new engine out of the box is 900 dollers from the USA.

Regards
    Daniel

More than 30 posts! Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by danielp View Post
    Hi dan,
    Yes you are correct that the exhaust comes out above the carbs, Im guessing to help warm the carbs in Arctic condition, whether that causes any issues in running in the UK is yet to be seen, the model I have been looking at is about the same weight and dimension as the rotax and produces about the same, I have run the software on making the tuned exhausts for this motor and that shows there enough length to go straight over the carbs and down the side of the hull without altering back pressure, might make quick repairs a problem if exhausts are hot!
    Trouble is, it sounds too good to be true, a brand new engine out of the box is 900 dollers from the USA.

Regards
    Daniel
    Hey up,

That is pretty damn cheap with todays exchange rate.
    However, you may get some trouble with import duty.
    I brought from the states once, got a letter come from parcelforce saying that I had to pay 28 import duty or I wouldn't get my stuff.
    I know its not much considering the cost of the engine here, but you should be advised.

HTH

I was concernered about duties too, but I think it's 20% on tax and 7% on duties, so overall still cheaper than the common engines being used, if it has any potential to be used in racing, its a cheap alternative.

its a cheap alternative.

Oh yes it is.

Might be worth trying to get a group buy togeather.

Good luck with your test & commissioning.
    Do please let us know how you get on.

Hi Aaron

That's a very good idea, trying out a new type of engine is expensive, especially if its a total disaster, but on the other hand it could be a good base to create a descent top runner, but its all guess work on my part at this stage

Regards

Hi Aaron

That's a very good idea, trying out a new type of engine is expensive, especially if its a total disaster, but on the other hand it could be a good base to create a descent top runner, but its all guess work on my part at this stage

Regards
    Hey up,

So just for clarity, what stroke cycle is it?
    I ask as I might need to use somit like that for lift, if it could be de-tuned easily to say 75 horse.
    I know that is still massive overkill for a lift engine on 1 & 2 seater craft but at a price like (590) brand new inc. delivery. Its worth messing about with. Unless of course, being an inline twin, it would be unrealistic to mount it crank vertical.

Where abouts are you?
    I'm in Portsmouth, might be that I can forward or hold them for collection if there is group interest.

Cheers