Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50th Anniversary Cruising Festival

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member

Default 50th Anniversary Cruising Festival

One of the themes of our 50th Anniversary in 2016 is to celebrate many of the different things the HCGB has done over the years. Way back in 1974 we had a cruising week on the shores of Loch Lubnaig in Scotland. In the 1970’s we raced and cruised many times on the River Thames in Central London. The tidal estuary of the River Medway has been a regular weekend cruising outing since the 1980’s and today hovercraft continue to explore it most weekends.

Join us from 16th to 24th July 2016 for some fun with Cruising hovercraft visiting many of our old haunts. It's the week before the World Championships at Tamworth.

Details of the cruising week on the Medway Estuary and Thames in central London are now available at www.whc2016.com/cruisingmain.htm We're delighted to say our base for the Festival will be Chatham Historic Dockyard. Where better to celebrate our own 50 years of muddy history than at a venue that itself has 500 years of nautical history and indeed was where many Osprey Hovercraft were built 20 years ago. It offers a sheltered slipway with adjacent camping and a hotel and many restaurants within 200 metres. It's an excellent centre to explore the muddy delights of the tidal estuary by hovercraft as well as take time off to visit the tourist delights of London and SE England, starting of course at the Dockyard itself.

We've outlined a programme of cruises throughout the week, that get steadily more challenging as the week goes on. But you don't need to stay all week - drop in for one or more days, whatever suits your schedule. If you’re not able to bring your own craft we hope to have seats available on craft for at least some of the trips. UK manufacturers may also be able to make craft available for rental.

If you're interested please email us now at the address on the website. You don't need to commit at the moment we just need to know who is interested.

Seasons greetings.

Keith Oakley
    Last edited by Keith Oakley; 24-Dec-15 at 10:39 AM.

Newbie Club Member

Default Re: 50th Anniversary Cruising Festival

Hi Keith

pls count me in maybe not all week but definitely 3/4 days I have have a few good outing on the medway when I have come up from Somerset

rgds dean

Hi Dean
    Great - look forward to seeing you there. Can you give me an email address so I can add you to the email circulation when I've got more details? What craft have you got?
    Regards
    Keith

Newbie Club Member

Hi Keith

dean@axerepairs.co.uk

thx dean

Newbie Club Member

Hi Keith

TS3 is my main cruising craft but also have FF & Eagle

rgds Dean

Thanks Dean - I'll add you to the list of folk I'll email with more info as we get it. The list of possible attendees is building up nicely. There's still room for more at the moment so if anyone else is interested in a weeks hover fun please email me via the address on the cruising festival page - http://www.whc2016.com/cruisingmain.htm

Plans for the event are developing nicely, and thanks to some sterling work by John Gifford, we're getting great support from the river authorities and other organisations.

Keith

Very active > 100 posts Club Member

Hi Keith,

I notice on the publicity it says rescue boats will be provided, any ideas who as I am happy to crew or help if needed

Regards

Del Smart

Hi Del
    There's a small flotilla of ribs lined up for rescue - you'll be most welcome to help crew. Drop me an email at the address on the website and I'll add your email address to the list
    Regards
    Keith