Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North visit to the Hovercraft Museum, Gosport

More than 30 posts! Club Member

Arrow North visit to the Hovercraft Museum, Gosport

Hello all,

Following on from several decussions, last night the mad one threw the idea out there to actually get a trip organised for us to go and see the refurbished Hovercraft Museum.

The idea is to have 2 or 3 meeting points close to the motorway enroute to Gosport to collect people.
    Approximate details we are looking at:
    Collection from one point in Blackburn Lancashire,

Possible collection point from Manchester area (Would be next to motorway M60)
    Possible stop/rest and pick-up point M5 services or alongside M5 Cafe.
    Destination: The Hovercraft Museum, Building 40, Daedalus Site, Argus Gate, Chark Lane, Gosport, Lee-on-the-Solent, Hampshire. PO13 9JY

Then either return journey setting off approx 16:30/17:00 or to:

Griffon Hoverwork Ltd. Merlin Quay, Hazel Road, Woolston, Southampton. SO19 7GB
    Overnight stay,
    Breakfast and start return approx 10:00am, reverse of above
    Arrangements have not been made yet as we want an idea of numbers intrested. If a large enough number of kids are wanted to come as well then we will make sure these are catered for (I know mine want to go)

Please get in touch if you are intrested with your local town and I will try to arrange something arround it.

Indications are approximately 40/50 per head including access to the museum if driving there and back in one day. Overnight will be more but less tiring.

Sean
    spocallaghan@hotmail.co.uk

Post Re: North visit to the Hovercraft Museum, Gosport

I have some excellent news, Griffon Hoverworks have accepted our request/invited us to visit their factory in Southampton for a rare treat of a look around the factory, and a talk on their products but it has to be done Monday to Friday as they don't open at weekends.
    Indications are approximately 40 per head including access to the museum. Overnight in the hotel is 75 per room per night but I can get this for 35-40 per night if paid in advance. I can only finalise cost when number are finalised but the more go, the cheaper it is. I need to know if the above and date is OK, if not a preferred date, I need to know the number of people wanting to attend, yourself, and family/friends/children.
    I am proposing the following but I need your feed back, good and bad, with an offer of alternatives from everyone.
    To travel on Friday 19th February
    06:00 Meet coach at Magnols Farm to depart at 06:20
    07:00 Collection point at M60 around Chill Factore
    09:30 Break/collection point M5 Services/Cafe
    Continue travel to Griffon Hoverwork with approximate arrival of 12:30/13:00
    Cafe dinner, Tour Griffon Hoverwork and Hotel all within 700 yards.
    Hotel for the evening
    Saturday 20th February
    Breakfast at your leisure
    10:00 Travel to The Hovercraft Museum, includes dinner/light refreshments
    Then either return back to the hotel for the night and return Sunday Morning or return journey home.
    Please get in touch if you are interested with your local town and I will try to arrange something around it or if you wish to make your own way there and join in with us, come along.

Regards
    Sean O'Callaghan

Default Re: North visit to the Hovercraft Museum, Gosport

Hey up,

That sounds pretty interesting and living in Portsmouth, I'd be silly to pass up this chance to meet some more of yous lot.

Any chance I could rendezvous with the coach in Woolston and/or Gosport?
    I might even be able to put up one or two who also fancy checking out the Portsmouth night life, which I can recommend.

That sounds great Aaron, you and anyone else will be more than welcome, we have a hotel in Southampton penciled in but can only confirm when numbers have been confirmed. Be great to see you all.

Post Re: North visit to the Hovercraft Museum, Gosport

For those that want to go on the trip to the Hovercraft Museum in Gosport, I am going to be booking the coach on Wednesday 3rd Feb so need final figures by the North West Branch Meeting on Tuesday night with a deposit please. I have tried to keep all booking until the last minute as December and January can be a strain on wallets.
    I have had a lot of interest in going but few confirmed definites, if you can't be at the meeting on Tuesday please feel free to get in touch to confirm a place, I can give you my bank details if needed.
    All places confirmed by Tueday nnight will be final, a coach will be ordered and paid for using this figure, if over 30 people then the larger coaches have toilets and the price becomes very reasonable.

The hotel I have looked at is Travel Inn Southampton City Centre (if this gets full, Travel Inn Southampton Quay West is just down the road) which is walkable from the Griffon Hoverworks factory. Price to pay directly for this is currently 35 if paid up front online. http://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/#!/hotels/england/hampshire/southampton/southampton-city-centre.html?ARRdd=29&ARRmm=01&ARRyyyy=2016&ROOMS=1 &ADULT1=1&CHILD1=0&COT1=0&INTTYP1=DB

If you know anyone intrested in joining us we are opening this up to everyone who is interested not just members, feel free to forward this on. Again, please let me know, even if you intend to meet us there so I can let Warrick and the others at the museum know so they can cater for us.

Many Thanks and I hope all is well with everyone

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by spocallaghan View Post
    For those that want to go on the trip to the Hovercraft Museum in Gosport, I am going to be booking the coach on Wednesday 3rd Feb so need final figures by the North West Branch Meeting on Tuesday night with a deposit please. I have tried to keep all booking until the last minute as December and January can be a strain on wallets.
    I have had a lot of interest in going but few confirmed definites, if you can't be at the meeting on Tuesday please feel free to get in touch to confirm a place, I can give you my bank details if needed.
    All places confirmed by Tueday nnight will be final, a coach will be ordered and paid for using this figure, if over 30 people then the larger coaches have toilets and the price becomes very reasonable.

The hotel I have looked at is Travel Inn Southampton City Centre (if this gets full, Travel Inn Southampton Quay West is just down the road) which is walkable from the Griffon Hoverworks factory. Price to pay directly for this is currently 35 if paid up front online. http://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/#!/hotels/england/hampshire/southampton/southampton-city-centre.html?ARRdd=29&ARRmm=01&ARRyyyy=2016&ROOMS=1 &ADULT1=1&CHILD1=0&COT1=0&INTTYP1=DB

If you know anyone intrested in joining us we are opening this up to everyone who is interested not just members, feel free to forward this on. Again, please let me know, even if you intend to meet us there so I can let Warrick and the others at the museum know so they can cater for us.

Many Thanks and I hope all is well with everyone

Sean

That sounds pretty well organised, just give me a time and grid reference and I'll be waiting for you.

Red face Re: North visit to the Hovercraft Museum, Gosport

Sorry for the slow news and replies (work commitments - how dare they get work in the way of of a social life )
    Well the trip is booked, if anyone wants to join us, we are aiming to be at Griffon Hoverworks by approx 13:00 on Friday 19th Feb. We are then staying locally overnight and then aiming to be at the Hovercraft Museum at approx 10:30 on Saturday 20th Feb. If you do intend to join us, please let us know so we can forewarn the museum.

Hopefully we will come back with plenty of good news, photos and stories of the hovercraft world. Maybe even a seek look at Griffons new project and some news of the future of the SRN4

Exclamation Re: North visit to the Hovercraft Museum, Gosport

Yesterday morning I received an email from Griffon Hoverworks that due to some news in their factory that they were requesting that we delay our visit to their factory in Southampton on Friday for a couple of months.
    Due to the lateness of the messages and that everything is booked we have made a couple of enquires to do something else instead but we are awaiting replies back and I will keep you all informed as I am able to. Keep a look out for Plan B or C, possibly even a plan D!

I hope Griffon can overcome this minor set-back they are having to experience,

Aaron, Tim and any one else wishing to join, if you are still thinking of joining us, send me your emails and I will add yoou to the group email we have,