Newbie Club Member

Default Yellow Sunrider Restoration

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0566.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	7160
    Hi All,
    I've just started this project, a 1974 sunrider , stripped of everything apart from an ec44 and ec25 robin engines. Both engines now start , but I think the ec25 will need a rebuild soon or replaced. New skirt is going on in the next two weeks, 29 segments came with it so I need to make about 35 or so .
    What I'm really after are any picture of sunriders , I would like to restore it back to its original spec, but that will be hard with a lack of info.
    If anyone has any information on sunriders please contact me
    Last edited by simonb; 7-Jun-17 at 06:23 PM.

More than 30 posts! Club Member

Default Re: Yellow Sunrider Restoration

Hi Simon,

Where are you based? there are a couple still about and one in the Hovercraft Museum if I remember correctly. Might be a local member that can help you out

Be great to see the progress

Sean.

Newbie Club Member

Hi Sean ,
    Thanks for the reply, I'm in Sevenoaks, Kent. I think this Sunrider came from a museum . It May have come from Portsmouth, but I'm not sure.

This is a photo from 2011 , I guess at Portsmouth.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54437695.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	7161

Had a look on the internet and I couldn't find another Museum , so I'm relying on any member who may have a Sunrider.

Forum God > 400 posts Club Member

Hi Simonb

I've been involved in hovercraft since 1967 and I live about 10 miles from you so I'll try to help. I don't remember the Sunrider craft from the mid 70's so I suspect not many were made and it's unlikely any are still running outside the museum. The one you have is almost certainly from the hovercraft museum at Gosport, part of their recent policy of disposing of excess stock. I've had a quick look at the online magazine archive on this website and there are mentions of the Sunrider from '74 onwards so trawling through them might be a source of useful info and maybe some b&w pics. I can come over sometime and take a look at the craft it that will help. If your free this weekend why not pop over to our cruising event at Chatham Dockyard?

Regards
    Keith
    Last edited by Keith Oakley; 12-Jun-17 at 09:38 PM.