Thread: tachometer wiring on Briggs and Stratton

Newbie Club Member

Default tachometer wiring on Briggs and Stratton

Does anyone have experience of wiring in a rev counter on a 23HP Briggs Vanguard? From what I have seen on line (numerous You Tube videos of people adding rev counters to ride on lawnmowers), you ought to be able to pick up a suitable pulse from the coil "kill" terminal, but when I tried this on the rev counter I bought it doesn't work (I checked that the tach was wired properly with good 12v and ground). The rev counter I bought was a mid price 52mm automotive type with 4 wires - 12v, ground, signal input and a illumination light. There is a switch to choose number of cylinders from 2 to 8. The vendor was adamant that they are all tested ( by themselves in UK) before shipment, but wouldn't elaborate on what signal it needed. I did put the multimeter on the kill wire and you do get a frequency varying proportional to rpm. If anyone has any experience of this kind of thing I'd be keen to hear.

More than 30 posts! Club Member

Default Re: tachometer wiring on Briggs and Stratton

What make is the Tacho? If the kill wire is to short to earth and the tacho needle is an earth field it will effectively short out the kill switch to earth so prevent the spark.

Sean

Newbie Club Member

Default Re: tachometer wiring on Briggs and Stratton

Hi Sean, it was just a cheap generic gauge from an e bay supplier . The engine runs fine with it in the circuit, its just that the tacho doesn't work. I've seen people use the "Tiny Tach" digital rev counter, but I really wanted something analogue.